False alarm

By Anonymous - 31/10/2015 16:41 - United Kingdom - Houghton Le Spring

Today, I was at the airport waiting for my flight to leave for Hawaii when I received an urgent call from my neighbour saying that my house had been broken into. After rushing home and missing my flight, I had to explain to the police that my house wasn't burgled, it was just very messy. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 717
You deserved it 5 923

Same thing different taste

Top comments

How messy does your house have to be to make people think that someone broke in? Clean up every once in a while OP. YDI in my opinion.

why on earth would it be so messy that your neighbor thought you got burgled?

Comments

Consider it a good thing your house wasn't actually broken into op!

How messy does your house have to be to make people think that someone broke in? Clean up every once in a while OP. YDI in my opinion.

Also that means their neighbour was peering inside as no windows had been broken or doors forced its the neighbours fault

usnwife 18

Neighbor could have been house-sitting and had a key? Still kinda early for him to be there unless there was a pet or something?

Makes me think of the House episode with the lady who hoarded everything.

why on earth would it be so messy that your neighbor thought you got burgled?

You kinda deserve it if you were expecting your neighbor to be watching your house while you were away. If it was really that messy then I understand why your neighbor freaked out.

Reminds me of that episode from "The Middle". sorry OP that just have been embarrassing.

unsun 13

The real question here is why are your neighbors looking through your windows and how often do they do it

He was probably having a neighbor keep an eye on his house while he went on vacation...

Usually when you look in on someone's house though, you don't do it the instant they go away. OP was at the airport, meaning they haven't been gone for more than a couple of hours. No need for a check up that soon.

Well, #6, if the neighbors peer in often then they would already know how messy OP is. Considering they freaked out and thought it was a burglar says that it's not something they normally do. Perhaps house sitting since OP is on vacation. Although, considering OP didnt even leave yet, it is a rather fast check up imo.

Also, where I live the houses are really close together. Like 2 feet apart. It's possible the neighbour was in their house and saw the mess if there are windows on the same side of the houses. In my house the upstairs bathroom window is directly across from the bathroom window of our neighbours house. Thankfully we both have shades/curtains drawn at all times. Another option is that op could've been walking by the house on the street and could see through the window easily without even stepping foot on their lawn. It all depends how close the houses are. I highly doubt the neighbour likes to look through their window all the time, but also calls the police on behalf of the neighbour.

Also, if the neighbour was dog sitting, than that would explain being there right away. Especially seeing as op would've already been at the airport for like 2-3 hours before the flight even left.

If OP was having their neighbor house sit for them they should at least have the common decency to clean up the place.

oh, i can understand the messy part

brendejafulable 41

Why would you leave for vacation with your house a mess? Coming home to a messy house would instantly kill the good vibes from the vacation.

My place gets messy at times too but I know where everything is. I call it organised chaos.

Having to clean my house before I leave for vacation instantly ruins the start of my vacation. Then again, I'm a very messy person and coming home to a mess wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

That's what happens when you live like a pig! YDI

Aside from you being messy, lol, why did your neighbor think that to begin with? Were they watching your house for you? Or were they peeping through your windows?