Denial

By Unreciprocated - 25/02/2016 06:12 - Canada - Hamilton

Today, I said "I love you" to my girlfriend for the first time. She responded with, "I'm just gonna pretend I never heard that." FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 308
You deserved it 2 478

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe she isn't ready for it. I know my parents weren't ready when I first said it to them.

Then you respond using that same line. And then she'll respond the same. And then you'll have a cyclic conversation that goes absolutely nowhere for the rest of your lives. You'll be practically married at that point.

Comments

Ouch. How long have you been together? Are you Ted Mosby-ing it?

Coffee5555 14

why would she date him unless she likes him.. i just think she was not ready for that..and her response came out wrong..

Maybe OP has an accent and his girlfriend heard " I'll off you." - and she's not afraid of an assassination attempt.

Apparently in my state the "I Love You" rule (not saying it until X amount of time.) doesn't exist.

she obviously isn't ready to say it back but someone who cares about their SO whether they are ready to say ILY or not doesn't say something like that. if you haven't ended it already, keep what I said in mind while the relationship progresses.

That's kind of a mean way to say it. I mean unless you have only been dating for days, or LESS, don't day it like that. it's ok if she isn't ready, but why go about it THAT way? Try giving her the benefit of a doubt...maybe she was just nervous and caught off guard.

Everytime she says she wants something just say.. Im gonna pretend i didnt hear you say that

Give it time and then if it's a deal-breaker in a little while, then maybe it was not meant to be. Everyone falls in love at different paces.

this shit happens to good couples. one is always ready before the other if you two are a good fit she will come around and this will be a awkward party joke one day.

No good couples automatically go at the same speed or set up dialogue that sets a pace and direction both can be comfortable with.

The love of my life was ready to say he loved me a bit before I was. His decisiveness works well with my natural reticence, I've no idea if we're a 'good couple' because it's a very odd idea that all couples can be divided into good and bad, but we certainly balance each other out well.