Denial

By Unreciprocated - 25/02/2016 06:12 - Canada - Hamilton

Today, I said "I love you" to my girlfriend for the first time. She responded with, "I'm just gonna pretend I never heard that." FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 308
You deserved it 2 478

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe she isn't ready for it. I know my parents weren't ready when I first said it to them.

Then you respond using that same line. And then she'll respond the same. And then you'll have a cyclic conversation that goes absolutely nowhere for the rest of your lives. You'll be practically married at that point.

Comments

you poor thing :( she doesn't sound like she's good for you.

Maybe they've been dating a week or something, who knows.

How about no. When my boyfriend and I were dating for three weeks, he told me he loved me (over text). I didn't know how to react, because it was way too soon. So I said it back eventhough I didn't mean it and I've regretted it ever since. My point is, maybe she didn't know how to react and maybe you shouldn't immediately assume she's a bad girlfriend for him.

I think if you're going to take the risk and say "I love you" first, then you have to be understanding if your person doesn't respond the same and isn't ready to say it. If you're not willing to do that, don't say it first. I think it's unfair to just assume you're both at the same point. Granted the girlfriend should've said something nicer, but I understand her being flabbergasted and not knowing what to say.

if you don't feel the same, you should say so . not play silly games. even if he said it too soon, her reply was rude.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
FryingPanHero 11

If OP has just immediately met his girlfriend and said "I love you", I can understand why she'd say that. If OP has known his girlfriend for quite a while now and said "I love you", I agree she doesn't deserve him. Either way, I hope she warms up or OP finds another.

Ashd09 30

What if the OP and his girlfriend are a new couple and he's jumping to say it? Then she did nothing wrong. My current boyfriend told me he loved me 3 days after we decided to be exclusive. I told him that he didn't know me to love me and he was mature and didn't say it again until we were together for nearly 4 months. I can't choose FYL or YDI until I know how long OP and the girlfriend have been together

That's completely backwards. She's doesn't deserve him for being honest? Would you rather her lie to him and regret saying it?

Then you respond using that same line. And then she'll respond the same. And then you'll have a cyclic conversation that goes absolutely nowhere for the rest of your lives. You'll be practically married at that point.

Then she complains later of why you don't tell her "I love you"

Say it again but with a bag of Doritos in one hand, she'll even say it back if you get two bags.

Just because she wasn't ready to say 'I love you' back doesn't mean she is a bitch #6... And dumping her? Really? I'm sure when she's ready to say it back she will. OP, give her time, I'm sure she will return the favour

No shit right. plenty of other people who would love to hear that.

That's okay, two can play at that game. Whenever she needs something, no matter the importance, just say ,"I'm going to pretend I never heard that."

thats just begging to get dumped. If OP loves her then he should just leave it alone for a while

Maybe she isn't ready for it. I know my parents weren't ready when I first said it to them.

Your parents weren't ready to hear their child loved them?

liquifiednate 21

I read this comment while sitting in my student union building on campus and wasn't expecting the ending. So I ended up laughing like a mad man in the middle of a crowded building as people just stared, thanks for that #8.

Azurexorcist 11

I laughed more at this than the original post.

quick question: what the actual **** is wrong with you

That's not a relevant solution, to anything. It makes it worse, in almost every possible way.