Assumptions

By Toast514 - 29/07/2009 23:49 - Canada

Today, I was short shifted at work because one of my employees decided not to show up. Furious, I wrote her up and made predetermined judgments about her. When she came in, I went off on her for being absent and leaving me stuck. She then informed me her mom tried to commit suicide. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 161
You deserved it 62 509

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Way to explode too soon! Didn't you notice this is out of her character??? YDI.

zip123 0

How would you have known? IMO, not your fault.

Comments

Whatever. Bitch could still take two seconds to call off.

Dabookofnothing 0

no she should have called him not the other way around

Whoopsy daisy, you're a silly little monkey for blowing your top without getting the whole story now, aren't you?

The telephone was invented over a hundred years ago. Perhaps you've heard of it?

that's the brilliance of this excuse. How is he going to verify it without risking being an even bigger dick? "Hello, this is your daughter's boss. Did you REALLY try to kill yourself?"

In the poor girl's defence, when you your mom is trying to commit suicide you probably can't just say "oh, could you hold that thought, I have to go call work"....not a good idea. Or maybe she was on the phone with other family members or something looking for help, that's what I would have done. Calling work would have been the last thing on my mind. As for the OP, I can understand that reaction if she shows up late or skips shifts often, but if she is a good employee than it's usually a good guess something serious has happened to make them late.

I think the OP waaaay overreacted. Was he right to write her up for now showing up? Yes. Should he have yelled at her when she did show up? No. If I was in their spot I would've asked the employee calmly why she didn't show up when she did come in. If it was some half-assed excuse I would've informed them that they had been written up. Upon hearing this excuse I would've immediately sent my hopes to her and tear the note up. And to all of those saying she should've called in-- Would you really want to call your manager after your mom had tried to kill herself?! You're probably going to be sitting therein the hospital crying, worried out of your mind, shocked, and scared. Honestly my job would be the last thing on my mind! The care and concern towards my mom would take place above ALL ELSE. I'm a student at college and when my grampa died last year I had to up and leave with no warning in order to catch a flight with my family. I emailed all the teachers the next day. All of my teachers forgave me and I think any decent human being would forgive someone in this situation. Your life does not have to be public for your manager to know, they are not god. In this situation the employee was right to tell her manager AFTER the immediate concern had been taken care of!!

#55 you're a stupid ****. I've been in a situation where a parent had to have their stomach pumped and I had to make the decisions. THERE IS STILL PLENTY OF TIME to call your job, if your shift is starting within however long of when you're at the hospital with your loved one, and just say "hey, I'm sorry, I'm at the hospital with my FATHER/MOTHER who had to have their stomach pumped/wrists bandaged/neck braced, I won't be in today. Do I need a note proving this?" Seriously, I hope YOU never have to go through that kind of thing. But if you do, and you somehow decide that even though you have PLENTY of time while they're pumping their stomach or whatever, I HOPE YOU GET FIRED.

#55 #59 you're a stupid ****. I've been in a situation where a parent had to have their stomach pumped and I had to make the decisions. THERE IS STILL PLENTY OF TIME to call your job, if your shift is starting within however long of when you're at the hospital with your loved one, and just say "hey, I'm sorry, I'm at the hospital with my FATHER/MOTHER who had to have their stomach pumped/wrists bandaged/neck braced, I won't be in today. Do I need a note proving this?" Seriously, I hope YOU never have to go through that kind of thing. But if you do, and you somehow decide that even though you have PLENTY of time while they're pumping their stomach or whatever, I HOPE YOU GET FIRED.

FML all the way round, both you and her. Only comment I would make is that people know their responsibilities in life and we do have communication mediums now, failing that we all know people who can make the call for us should circumstance require. Very sorry situation.

vt_mruhlin 0

Not a YDI or FML. Pissed off boss is understandable when employees don't show up. And if she didn't call or anything... I mean, obviously you apologize and take it back, but no reason for either to keep being bugged by it.