Assumptions

By Toast514 - 29/07/2009 23:49 - Canada

Today, I was short shifted at work because one of my employees decided not to show up. Furious, I wrote her up and made predetermined judgments about her. When she came in, I went off on her for being absent and leaving me stuck. She then informed me her mom tried to commit suicide. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 160
You deserved it 62 505

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Way to explode too soon! Didn't you notice this is out of her character??? YDI.

zip123 0

How would you have known? IMO, not your fault.

Comments

Way to explode too soon! Didn't you notice this is out of her character??? YDI.

SHE DESERVES IT FOR HAVING A MOM, YOU HAD EVERY RIGHT TO BE MAD

weird_dave 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Dabookofnothing 0

no guys think about it if you were the owner of a company and someone u needed very much to work that day just didnt show up with ANY explamation at all wouldnt u be mad. The least she could do was tell them she would be in the hospital with her mom

Well.... of course they would be mad....but they should still listen for an explanation... If your mom had just attempted suicide you're probably going through a lot of emotions and work is not the first thing on your mind... I'm never late to work, rarely call out, but if my mom tried to commit suicide, I'm sure as hell that the first thing on my mind wouldn't be about calling my work. Wouldn't even think about it. I would just be there for my mom. Work would definitely be an after thought.

Rabbits 0

Today my mom tried to commit suicide which made me late for work. Before I could explain my boss screams at me for being late and writes me up. What a day! Fml

Inspired22 11

When an employee can't make it for whatever reason, they are supposed to call! I'm sorry her mom attempted suicide, but all she had to do was call and say, "I'm up to my eyeballs in emotional turmoil right now, I can't make it!" A boss has the right ALWAYS to write someone up for now showing up to their shift!

augustdanielle 0

That's like, not even cool, >_>. You need to start thinkin' before you speak!

Or the employee lied to get out of trouble. Seems a lot more likely, huh? She had all day to think up an excuse, and this one is pretty conveniently impossible to check out without risking looking like an even bigger asshole.

Or she was telling the truth and didn't think to call work because she was worried about her mum?

Who like, even talks like dis? >_>

Not that hard to check up on. "I'm sorry to bother you about this, but if you could get me some paperwork from the hospital, I would greatly appreciate that. We just need something to put on file."

KitKhatu 0
22cute 17

It is VERY sad but it's good for her to get up and go to work. Following normal patterns can keep you from sinking into a dark depression.

zip123 0

How would you have known? IMO, not your fault.

IS her fault. She hires somebody who she believes to be loyable to an extent, and then she doesn't show up? - It's fair to assume she was late for a justful cause; she even came in after the suicidal attempt.. YDI

YDI for leaping before looking. I'd say it is her life that is ******!

This is exactly why you ask for the story first!

Or it could just be an excuse. Did you verify if her story is true?

ToBeH 0

Aww, poor girl. You overreacted.

Wow damn. Chill. Working a little more isn't so damned bad, unless she did this a lot... but either way, way to handle the situation.

Yeah that's what you get for being so quick to assume. Even if she has done that frequently in the past, you always ask first. YDI for sure.