By fuckedbyretail - 02/02/2013 14:53 - United States - Charlotte

Today, at my retail job, a woman came to my till with her purchases. After I scanned all her items, she handed me two small bags. One was filled with nickels and dimes. The other was filled with cents. Her total was $28.53. The coins amounted to $22.30. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 544
You deserved it 2 751

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Those types of people are a dime a dozen. Why wouldn't she bring enough money to a store? That doesn't make much cents.

Wow. Every retail job I've ever had had a policy stating if someone were to pay with only coins, they had to be rolled. It gave people the opportunity to short the store a few pennies, but that was on the management.

Comments

Those types of people are a dime a dozen. Why wouldn't she bring enough money to a store? That doesn't make much cents.

Wow. Every retail job I've ever had had a policy stating if someone were to pay with only coins, they had to be rolled. It gave people the opportunity to short the store a few pennies, but that was on the management.

Why is he being thumbed down, it's true. Last retail I worked at, we weren't allowed to accept over a couple bucks if it was pennies and nickels.

It depends on the store and the personnel the store has. You can have the strictest of rules, such as no rolled coins and no change over $2, but the associate who is in the thick of the transaction can also make that call. With that in mind, I've counted over $50 in unrolled change for a single customer. Retail management (most of us anyway) love change. It keeps our drawers stocked.

That happened to.me a couple of times when I worked at a gas station, it is the shitiest way to get shorted

At my retail job we can take as much unrolled change as the Customer chooses to pay with...we cannot however take ANY rolled change.

Rddvl 11

Troll customer strikes again!

CheeseTron 15

Aint nobody got time for that!

KM96 24

Yea! I'm sure there would have been an angry queue behind her! Or maybe not ... If they got so mad and changed to another till

Could you not refuse to take them? If not then definitely FYL

Just say that can't take all of those coins.

Is it just me, or did the first sentence not make any sense at all?

CharresBarkrey 15

There's an extra "with." That's all.

teemooegan 9

I thought the same thing..I'm guessing "till" is another word for register or check out?

haha_funny_me 7
Iknoweverything 29

Retail workers do NOT make enough money to put up with half the shit that we do. FYL OP, and hope that's the worst you have to deal with this week.

Tell me about it. I've worked in retail my whole life and everyone always asks why I hate people and hate Christmas. WE'RE the ones that see the TRUE Christmas spirit in everyone. Acting nice when they're really assholes. We put up with the shit and I am not a people person.

most of the time it's the job that does it to you.

I also work retail, I've had credit cards to fruit and veg thrown at me not to mention the verbal abuse we often cop just for doing our jobs! People always say treat other as you wish to be treated but that is a two way street, it is hard to continue to be nice to someone while they are yelling at you for no reason. It is definitely the job that ruins people.

Oh god, I have to work in a ******* deli over superbowl sunday, thanks for the reminder, eugh

TheDrifter 23

Every time I have to deal with retail workers I always pay by card. If I try to pay by cash I always end up with the 6th grade drop out that can't count 37 cents for my change, or the trainee that needs the manager to open the till, who is conveniently always on break. Self checkout is one of my favorite modern inventions.

#37 Sometimes you can't help thr jov you get. If you need money you have to.do what you have to do...If everyone waited for their perfect dream job that fitting everything they wanted...sadly no one would be getting jobs. I don't want a job in retail but where I live you dont really have a choice even if you go to college...it sucks believe me :/

I'm... pretty sure there are laws against that.

hellobobismyname 24

Yep, there is. They throw people in jail when they pay with too much change.

whew! Almost didn't catch the sarcasm there. I would pay money for there to be a sarcasm font.

hellobobismyname 24

Sarcasm? I wasn't being sarcastic, what are you talking about? :)

When I worked at 7-11 we had to take their money no matter what. Their policy was "We do not discriminate against any type of money." We've gotten foreign coins and bags of unrolled coins. Its different policies for different stores....there is no law.