By tardspawn - 05/04/2015 15:38 - United Kingdom - Horsham

Today, my morbidly obese mother gave me an angry lecture at dinner, saying without any trace of irony that my vegetarian diet is "unhealthy and utterly unacceptable". FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 585
You deserved it 4 006

Same thing different taste

Top comments

karcummings 19

Sounds like you need to give her a lesson on what and what's not healthy.

Her attitude is unhealthy and utterly unacceptable!

Comments

I had this problem with my family whenever I first became one. Just stick with it properly, making sure you're getting the right nutrients, and she'll see that it can be a healthy lifestyle. And if not, then her negative opinion isn't important anyways.

gabby_john_ 15

To be fair, vegetarians don't live as long as people who are non-veg

Not true. Most studies show vegetarians live longer. There are studies contradicting each other everywhere, but the most recent 'good' studies show vegetarians live longer. But it's not just 'being vegetarian'. It's other things as well. Also, they say that vegetarians don't actually live longer, it just feels like they do.

That's kinda ****** up to say that about your mom, even if you don't agree with her...

Morbidly obese is a clinical condition, not just an insult. Admittedly, it's rarely due to just diet, but if OP's mum really is that overweight, then OP is comparing the health of their diets, not just name-calling.

arianarochele 9

Um that's your mom, can I ask why you are disrespecting her? Some of this generation has zero moral values. Your elders are supposed to be treated with respect, could be why your relationship with her is like this. My daughter literally must say yes ma'am no ma'am, please and thank you, may I be excused, or may I please have, and she is two. There must always be respect.

How is he direspecting her? If she is morbidly obese, that's what she is...And I think no-one has to respect BS, no matter where it comes from.

If it's respect rather than just fear, then it goes both ways. Respect is earned, and if OP's mum is insulting her healthier diet, then she us being disrespectful to OP. You don't teach moral values by showing that you lack them.

In all seriousness you can pretty easily develop some serious problems if you don't eat meat. While large amounts of veggies is a wonderful idea, vegetarianism itself isn't. However, I'm sure you are STILL healthier than your mother.

What problems do you think you could develop if you don't eat meat?

Wrong as she may be... Shouldn't talk about your mom like that bro..

Isn't "morbidly obese" an actual medical term? I doubt OP said it to be insulting.

Yeah I'm sure OPs username wasn't to insult her either right?

drunk_crow 12

Your mom must be a genius.

You can get the same nutrients from a vegetarian diet compared to a person who eats meat. The only thing you will be missing out is vitamin B12. I am not a vegetarian by the way and will never be.

some people can produce b12 by themselves... and apparently it's also on some unwashed (organic) fruits/veggies.

You can get B12 from eggs and dairy, and from certain plants when they haven't been washed too much. In fact the reason why animals have B12 stored in their flesh is because they eat dirty food.

It's added to a lot of foods nowadays too. I was drinking an energy drink the other day and noticed it had around 200% of my daily B12 intake.

For all the people saying he's being disrespectful... The truth is the truth, it's something everyone can see, and he said it as "politically correct" as practically possible. If he used adjectives like "fat slob", then yeah I could start to see your point. ANYWAY I've been vegetarian forever and people are completely wrong when they say you're missing out on the nutrients of meat, there are PLENTY of other options, so she's just silly.

Because "tardspawn" is completely respectful and politically correct.

While she may be wrong, this fml is really disrespectful to your mother especially considering the name. Don't be rude she did give you life, just explain to her the reasoning behind it.

As was said above, "fat slob" would be disrespectful; "morbidly obese" is a clinical condition. OP'S point is that their mother is being both disrespectful and hypocritical, and their mother's weight is relevant to that.