By pencilring - 04/09/2010 14:08 - United States

Today, my boyfriend proposed. The ring just had a piece of graphite on it. My boyfriend argued that since graphite and diamonds are both just forms of carbon, it is the same thing. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 716
You deserved it 14 326

Same thing different taste

Top comments

slushpup9696 12
Breeneefml12 0

why are you bitching? at least you know he wants to spend the rest of his life with you now, so shut the **** up and be happy.

Comments

deafeningsilence 8
jeffreybean 3

stop complaining. are, are you just a bitch that has to. maybe that's all he could afford

More like FHL for having to put up with a materialistic bitch like you. You should be happy he wanted to spend the rest of his life WITH you, not mad he didn't spend all his money ON you. I hope he dumped your ass for that.

How I'd feel about this would depend on the rest of the ring. If it's a cheap band with the graphite glued on or something, I, like the sender, would probably be a bit offended by how he wasn't taking the whole thing seriously. However, if the graphite was well set in the ring and hard enough/well protected enough to not wear away, then I would actually prefer that to a traditional diamond ring, it would show he's put some thought and effort into the ring, even if it isn't traditional or expensive.

don't be a bitch just accept that he LOVES you.

so? money isn't everything you selfish bitch

athometrixie 0

I don't get why so many people are jumping her. He did nothing special and he certainly did nothing to make her feel loved and appreciated. He could have given her a plain band if he had financial considerations, but to go the the extent o getting a "graphite" ring because it's "the same thing" shows nothing but contempt. And why should she feel "oh so grateful" that some jerk proposed? WTF makes HIM such a catch? Just because he asked? Blech!

It is implied that she made a tiff about the fact that it wasn't a diamond. THAT'S why people are "jumping" on her, because she doesn't appreciate the thought that he loves her enough to propose to her in the first place. If he loves you, it should be clear, and he shouldn't have to spend tons of money and tons of thought on some adequate proposal. If he says, "Will you marry me?" that should be proof enough he cares. Clearly she's under-appreciative of the fact that he proposed to her, and simply wanted DIAMONDS, DIAMONDS, DIAMONDS.

UndiscoveredChao 0

does it say ANYTHING about him not making her feel loved other wise? no. so how do u know?

193, it doesn't say anything about the bs going out of his way to make her feel loved, either. it's possible he pulled this as a dick move and nothing more.

Uh, yeah. The way I see it, the issue isn't the ring itself; the issue is that her boyfriend is the kind of immature man-child who thinks it's funny to spoil a life-changing moment with a throwaway line and cheap gimmick. Graphite isn't pretty (or hard-wearing for that matter) - there's a reason people don't put it on rings. It sounds like he bought it simply so he could make the wisecrack. Even if he bought a "real" ring later (ie a pretty/functional one - I'm not biased towards diamonds, I have cubit zirconia on mine by choice), he still turned what could have been a beautiful, heartfelt moment into something to snigger about at the pub with the boys. It wasn't respectful. Being peeved about it doesn't make the OP a gold digger, it makes her a person with feelings. My husband could have said "I do" at the wedding in a Donald Duck voice, or made a face of fake horror afterwards to amuse the guests; it wouldn't have "mattered" in that we'd still have been married, but it would have totally ruined the moment. Same thing.

zenhachikyo 0

Why the Hell do women complain about and compare what their guys get them? It's only in the last hundred years or so that it became anywhere near a custom for diamonds to be given and that because marketing of major jewelry gave them the idea of it. He apparently loves you and wants to marry you, so stfu and deal, or go be a gold digger and find a new guy to leach money out of.