Thanks De Beers

By Anonymous - 31/08/2021 19:01

Today, my boyfriend proposed with the biggest, tackiest, most Geordie Shore-style ring I’ve ever seen. I said yes because I love him, but this thing is twice as wide as my finger and just looks horrible compared to the solitaire ring I told him I really liked. I’m embarrassed to be seen wearing it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 243
You deserved it 497

Same thing different taste

Top comments

So, he overrode your simple, elegant style with his garish, grotesque display? Congrats are in order and I believe your marriage will provide fertile ground for many FML's in the future. Or.... Or tell him to return that garbage and get you the ring you want.

Jeanette Waltman 12

be happy he proposed! not a lot of men do that anymore! and be honest about the ring to be fair if you have a good relationship he will understand if not you know where u stand.

Comments

So, he overrode your simple, elegant style with his garish, grotesque display? Congrats are in order and I believe your marriage will provide fertile ground for many FML's in the future. Or.... Or tell him to return that garbage and get you the ring you want.

Jeanette Waltman 12

be happy he proposed! not a lot of men do that anymore! and be honest about the ring to be fair if you have a good relationship he will understand if not you know where u stand.

Hey, many of us still do that! Don't pawn your singleness on our kind. No but a bit more seriously, you realize buying a tacky, overpriced rock is just bloody stupid, right? And the whole concept of marriage as a formal public display of affection is equally retarded. Spend your life with the one you love as you see fit. And if a contractual commitment helps with taxes, inheritance and the likes, then go for it. But whom you love is your business, and yours only.

@Plop - Marriage is actually a reasonably savvy decision if you’re planning on having kids and starting a family, having property together, etc. Things like community property and financial support are important if one or both of you are going to be making sacrifices in your career, etc. to build a family. Sorry if you think it’s okay to just move on and stiff someone the second you’re out of love, but to me, commitment and building something together is the point of marriage, and it’s a promise of equal share in success and failure of what you’re building. It’s about the commitment you make to each other and sticking to it, not about taxes or insurance or inheritance, or fancy ceremonies and diamond rings.

From a legal standpoint, the ONLY benefit marriage has is for taxes. It provides ZERO other benefits in that regard. All other aspects are addressed with existing law.

If only I had written something along the lines of " And if a contractual commitment helps with taxes, inheritance and the likes, then go for it", referring to that sort of stuff....

Maybe you 2 can return it and use any extra you get back on fun vacation

Be honest with him, say you like the ring, but explain that you would be much happier with something much different and smaller. Show him again what you'd really like. As stated above, you both return it and use the extra to go on a fun vacation, or put it towards your wedding.

2deployments1divorce 11

Your local pawn broker can surely rectify this situation for you.

He gave you a ring that can double a a weapon when needed. He's just thinking about your safety.

Doom_Kitty 12

If you can't talk with him about your jewellery taste you'll have an interesting marriage ahead^^

I cannot help wondering if fiancé is really wealthy, or had this ring as a family heirloom, or if perhaps that big rock is not a diamond. You might want to quietly go to a jeweler for an “insurance appraisal”. It won’t be free, but it could put to rest any suspicious. But don’t trust anyone who gives a low appraisal and then offers to “take it off your hand” if you want to sell it - In that case they are radically undervaluing it so they could sell it at a huge profit. That’s the case of most “appraisal events.”