By anonymous - 12/08/2009 21:01 - United States

Today, I went with my girlfriend to her parents' house. They told me I smelled of cheap vodka. When I told them I worked in a bio lab and used ethanol a lot, they said I was too stupid to do anything like that. My girlfriend broke up with me because her parents think I'm a drunk. FML
I agree, your life sucks 65 884
You deserved it 3 413

Same thing different taste

Top comments

airbornerose 0

Wow. Sounds like the girlfriend is the idiot.

I think there's more to this story than a 300-character-limit allows. (or whatever number it actually is)

Comments

I work with 200 proof ethanol, it evaporates very fast and doesn't leave a residue. Unless you bathed yourself in it in the car before meeting them they you shouldn't smell like alcohol at all.

Because the OP uses such high concentration just like you! Great assumption there buddeh

greatnt249 0

Ever stop to think he was working with the denatured stuff that purposely has a smell to it?

inspireme48 0

well then proove to her u arent!! duh.. fyl

... So why is it they think you're an idiot?

There's definitely more to this story. I've never met parents that would be so rude as to say outright that they think someone is stupid (to their face), especially their kid's boyfriend. Unless he pissed them off somehow. So in other words, what'd you do?

Cgy_guy 0

@ 27: My ex's mom did something similar to me. I spent 6 yrs as a military medic and was examining a painful spot on my gf's foot that I could very easily tell was a plantar wart. Her mom (an extremely opinionated lady and nurse for 30+ years) came over and actually said "what the hell do you know?" to me in an extremely snide tone of voice. Being too shocked to say anything I let it go and took gf to a walk in clinic. An hour or so later we were back at her place and her mom wanted to know what the doc had said. She lost her smug little smile when gf told her that the doc said it was indeed a plantar wart. She was nasty to me for years... so glad that's over with.

kiteofnight 0

Agreed @everyone that says your girlfriend is an idiot. And consequently, you deserve it for dating a moron.

this sounds fake, but really? is this really a FYL if she was that gullible to break up with you in the first place? so stupid. i hate people.

danimals2011 1

Maybe cheap vodka does? I agree with everyone, you just got rid of a dumbass, congrats.

danimals2011 1

Even the $40-$60 CDN bottle vodka's have a rubbing alcohol smell. Mind you, not as strong as cheap vodka, but potent enough. Anyways, this situation sucks royally.

danimals2011 1

that isnt a distinct smell. they would say you smell like rubbing alcohol.

god have you ever drank vodka before or are you some know-it-all 13 year old?

birds_fml 7

I'm confused. Why don't labs use isopropyl alcohol? That doesn't smell anything like drinking alcohol. Oh, and neither FYI nor YDI, because it's best that you guys break up because she's a moron for dumping you over what her parents think. You'll find a better girl, a smart one who can think for herself, and you'll be glad this girl dumped you.

...because IPA isn't appropriate for all your biochem needs... OP: Good riddance. On the plus side you didn't smell of the myriad of seriously stinky chemicals and have to explain your hygiene issues.

atrus1212 0

YDI for working at a bio lab. Get a better job you lazy ass ******.

Nofreakingway 0

what the hell are you talking about....

prophisher8789 0

What are you talking about? Working in a bio lab isn't easy at all..and it does not make you lazy.