By JakeHolmes - 17/11/2009 06:48 - United States

Today, I was in my hot tub with my brand new phone. I set it down and when I grabbed my towel I knocked it into the water. I quickly snatched it up and dried it off with the towel and suprisingly only one button stopped working. It was the unlock button, a perfectly good phone that I can't use. FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 890
You deserved it 47 896

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You took your phone with you to a hot tub? what were you expecting to happen? Even if the phone hadn't fallen into the water it could have been damaged by the steam from the hot water. YDI.

How do you know the unlock button was the only one that stopped working if you couldn't get into your phone? ....

Comments

nonnymouse 0

Once you get electronics wet, it is going to stop working. Corrosion takes time to form in the circuitry. The whole thing will stop working, not just that one button. Maybe this will teach you to take better care of your toys.

lem0n_fml 0

How much time? Cuz I dropped my phone in a full sink of water on New Years this year, and it still works perfectly fine. ;)

boatkicker 4

If it works fine, then it will continue to do so. They were saying that if one button stops working it's only a matter of time before the rest do too.

Definitely an FML--you're a ******* moron.

You're an idiot for taking your new phone to a hot tub. And if it was locked how the hell would you know the other buttons worked?

Go back to where you got it and say you got a broken phone and they'll give you a new one. Most smart people who get new phones get insurance on them... or there's a warranty or something. This isn't an FML. It's a YDI because who even takes their brand new phone near a hot tub or any other water source?

Yeah not so much. Most phones have a sticker in them somewhere that changes color when there is water damage.

boatkicker 4

How long did you give it to dry out? Take out the battery and any other parts that you can take off/out and give it like 2 days. Your button will probably start working again. Unless you already gave it that long, in which case FYL

Mr_Pooter 0

I heard putting electronics in some rice will dry it out. Idk if it really works... Anyway, you deserved it for having your phone so close to the water! If you can accidentally knock it in with a towel, it's too close! Think about that next time!

wiangel15 2

I've done the same thing, My phone has been 'swimming' four times lol, my dad showed me a trick tho, take out the battery and put the phone on the end of the vacuum hose (vacuum running of course) and leave it there for like 2 hrs (i suggest shutting off the vacuum every once in a while so the motor doesn't burn out) By then all the water should be sucked out and the key should work, if not then i believe you are screwed :/ sorry, but like i said this worked for me 4 times. good luck!!

Totally YDI for even bringing it to a hot tub! When a phone gets into contact with liquid, whether its a spill or completely drowning... don't press any buttons, but take out the battery and let it air dry for a few days! If you can't air dry, do the Vacuum trick

take out the battery and clean the inside with alcohol. and put it in rice (it actually works)

deaditegirl 0

"Today, I was in my hot tub with my brand new phone." YDI right there.