By need new job - 24/04/2016 18:12 - Germany

Today, I was hired as a student assistant. I was excited, until I learned on my very first day that "Supporting the academic staff in their research" actually meant walking the professor's dog. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 425
You deserved it 1 430

Same thing different taste

Top comments

To cut off as many of the incoming 'money for dog walking, who cares' comments as possible: not only did OP take the position because it was an opportunity to further their studies, but not all student assistants get paid money-what the student gets to learn is considered payment.

I don't know much about your situation ( whether this is your first 'proper' job etc) but maybe you can look at this as a sort of 'paying your dues'? Nobody starts at the top, you have to work your way up! Maybe this job will lead to better things or develop into the sort of role you want in time? You may also get to learn a lot in the periods where you're not out with the dog that will help develop your learning. :-/

Comments

You get to hang around with dogs all day, that's the opposite of an fml

I wouldn't complain, dogs are so good and you're also getting paid, its a win win

Not all interns get paid, and two OP took the job because it's learning and practical experience so he/she would have a leg up after they graduate. walking a dog might be fun but it's not useful in anyway.

I *would* complain; dogs, fun, and even the money may be irrelevant to OP. They obviously signed on to be in a position to learn, research, and gain valuable experience. If OP is deprived of the real benefits that made them want the position in the first place, then getting to be with dogs or earn a wage is largely immaterial. I just don't think it's something to quietly or willingly accept, if it isn't related to what OP signed on for.

JustinJK 21

I quit a paid internship for an unpaid internship because I didn't want to do stupid bullshit. Now I'm actually working on projects for things that I want to do in my career. I was getting coffee and chipotle, answering phones, menial tasks, etc. before. Sure, getting paid is great, but I need real knowledge and experience for when I'm done with college. I already do pointless shit in college. So getting paid isn't always worth it.

To cut off as many of the incoming 'money for dog walking, who cares' comments as possible: not only did OP take the position because it was an opportunity to further their studies, but not all student assistants get paid money-what the student gets to learn is considered payment.

nameisname 12

Money for walking the dog, who cares lol jk

I don't know much about your situation ( whether this is your first 'proper' job etc) but maybe you can look at this as a sort of 'paying your dues'? Nobody starts at the top, you have to work your way up! Maybe this job will lead to better things or develop into the sort of role you want in time? You may also get to learn a lot in the periods where you're not out with the dog that will help develop your learning. :-/

So if you were hired to babysit the children it would be OK for you that you first have to mow the lawn, clean the House, do the dishes, paint the living room etc. so you can work your way up to the actual job you are paid for?

RedPillSucks 31

Apples and oranges. In your example, it's not working your way up at all. In OPs case, there may be legitimate benefits once the professor trusts OP more

there are plenty of remedial jobs for any professor, like data entry, or filing papers for example having someone walk your dog as a way to gain your trust is a pathetic excuse at best. The professor just wants a dog walker he can write off as a business expense that's it. working your way up means starting from the bottom and working your way up the work ladder not doing a completely unrelated job.

I've worked as a student assistant, and found it to be a very diverse job. Yes, you do end up doing all kinds of chores that aren't particularly research-related, but in my experience, the more you get to know the professor you work with, the more you get to do the interesting stuff. Getting to know your professors well has quite a few benefits: you get a look "behind the scenes" so to speak, so when there's interesting opportunities coming up, you'll probably hear about them before the other students, and professors will be more likely to offer better jobs to people they already know. If this job has a somewhat okay pay, I wouldn't drop it too soon.

Part of being in an assistant position is doing things like getting coffee, stapling/shreding and other menial tasks. Walking a dog may cross a line into doing personal chores for the professor, you have to decide if it's worth talking to them or their boss over.

At least dogs are cheerful and almost always spread happiness. For some students that can be really beneficial, not for study purposes but for their well being. Goodluck with your studies OP.