By bdaygirl - 03/12/2009 07:33 - United States

Today, I turned eighteen. Thinking I was going to get a big present from my parents on this special day, I eagerly unwrapped my present. They got me a bag of M and M's. Last year I got flannel bed sheets. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 932
You deserved it 4 727

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Okay, come on. I bet some of her friends got cars and computers and iPods for their birthdays. I understand she shouldn't feel 'entitled' to anything, but can no one understand the disappointment? She isn't homeless or living in poverty so her parents can probably afford to spend well.... over three dollars on a gift for her eighteenth birthday. Yeah, it's not the end of the world, but you know what? Half you are posting these messages criticizing the OP from your goddamn iPhones that mommy and daddy bought you. I don't care if you're 'happy getting nothing' (I don't believe it for the majority of you, though) for your birthdays, everyone has a right to be a little irked when zero thought and effort goes into a gift for their coming of age birthday. My family isn't rich but if we're struggling with funds we still put in some effort for gifts. I work a little extra in order to spend some money on gifts for my family, why shouldn't parents do the same for their kids? And don't give me the recession bullshit, because if that had been the issue in the OP's case I'm sure she would have understood or they would have at least explained it to her. No gift would have been better than a thoughtless one. A note saying, 'honey, we're sorry we can't afford much this year, etc etc. ' would have probably changed things in the OP's mind. Stop being hypocrites.

Comments

**** presents dude! just go out and get knackered with your friends. that's the ONLY way to celebrate birthdays after you are of legal age. l

times are hard, you ungrateful little shit

suck it up and be happy. i have not gotten anything for the past two Christmas' or birthdays. Be grateful that you have a family.

Give me a break! Be thankful you got anything at all. No one DESERVES anything from anyone. You want a big, expensive, elaborate gift? Go buy it yourself!

That's a good gift if you are addicted to chocolates ;)

who the shit let a **** like this on the Internet

txgirl09 5

I'm just wondering who'll be paying for OP's college (assuming they're going to college) and who paid for the computer they typed this from... (and even if they pay for their own college who's paying for the car insurance, health insurance, any medical bills, rent, etc..)

perdix 29

Here's a handy-dandy chart to tell whether this is an FML. Variety .... Meaning Peanut .... Your parents adore you and have built their lives around you. Plain ...... They wish they were more into abortion or infanticide. So what kind did you get?