By bdaygirl - 03/12/2009 07:33 - United States

Today, I turned eighteen. Thinking I was going to get a big present from my parents on this special day, I eagerly unwrapped my present. They got me a bag of M and M's. Last year I got flannel bed sheets. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 932
You deserved it 4 727

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Okay, come on. I bet some of her friends got cars and computers and iPods for their birthdays. I understand she shouldn't feel 'entitled' to anything, but can no one understand the disappointment? She isn't homeless or living in poverty so her parents can probably afford to spend well.... over three dollars on a gift for her eighteenth birthday. Yeah, it's not the end of the world, but you know what? Half you are posting these messages criticizing the OP from your goddamn iPhones that mommy and daddy bought you. I don't care if you're 'happy getting nothing' (I don't believe it for the majority of you, though) for your birthdays, everyone has a right to be a little irked when zero thought and effort goes into a gift for their coming of age birthday. My family isn't rich but if we're struggling with funds we still put in some effort for gifts. I work a little extra in order to spend some money on gifts for my family, why shouldn't parents do the same for their kids? And don't give me the recession bullshit, because if that had been the issue in the OP's case I'm sure she would have understood or they would have at least explained it to her. No gift would have been better than a thoughtless one. A note saying, 'honey, we're sorry we can't afford much this year, etc etc. ' would have probably changed things in the OP's mind. Stop being hypocrites.

Comments

xdyingxwishx 0

Welcome to adulthood, grow up and get over it. At least you got something.

klar_fml 0

Sigh, iPhone app fail post. What I meant to post was: Well...M&Ms are better than flannel bed sheets I suppose? Just tell them you'd like more thought to go into your gifts in the future, it's not about money afterall :)

kitty_karloso 0

YDI for getting your hopes up. If they've given you bad presents in the past, why would you think differently now?

agnijay 0

"Big" does not mean "expensive." "Big" means that she thought her parents would, oh, I don't know... CARE???!!!

Remember the second half of my post? ""They got me a bag of M&M's. Last year I got flannel bed sheets." - OP is whining about never having got anything they find up to par."? Oh but of course her parents obviously don't like her because their presents aren't good enough. Everything comes down to the presents.

xkaitlinwhitex 0

i once got a watch for my birthday and nothing else. not like an expensive bling watch, just a normal kids watch.

ASA5G 2

everyone think for a second. if her parents cant afford more how is she posting this FML? and if your doing this at a friends house then i just have to say skittles are better.

Wlollpop 0

And hmm lets see, when was the last time you gave them something? Just curious but im leaning toward not since the time in first grade you made that turkey out of your handprint.