By bdaygirl - 03/12/2009 07:33 - United States

Today, I turned eighteen. Thinking I was going to get a big present from my parents on this special day, I eagerly unwrapped my present. They got me a bag of M and M's. Last year I got flannel bed sheets. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 932
You deserved it 4 727

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Okay, come on. I bet some of her friends got cars and computers and iPods for their birthdays. I understand she shouldn't feel 'entitled' to anything, but can no one understand the disappointment? She isn't homeless or living in poverty so her parents can probably afford to spend well.... over three dollars on a gift for her eighteenth birthday. Yeah, it's not the end of the world, but you know what? Half you are posting these messages criticizing the OP from your goddamn iPhones that mommy and daddy bought you. I don't care if you're 'happy getting nothing' (I don't believe it for the majority of you, though) for your birthdays, everyone has a right to be a little irked when zero thought and effort goes into a gift for their coming of age birthday. My family isn't rich but if we're struggling with funds we still put in some effort for gifts. I work a little extra in order to spend some money on gifts for my family, why shouldn't parents do the same for their kids? And don't give me the recession bullshit, because if that had been the issue in the OP's case I'm sure she would have understood or they would have at least explained it to her. No gift would have been better than a thoughtless one. A note saying, 'honey, we're sorry we can't afford much this year, etc etc. ' would have probably changed things in the OP's mind. Stop being hypocrites.

Comments

peroxideprincess 0

whoops...#28 was supposed to be my response to #24...

crazylady654 0

send the m&m's to me!! :D weird though, cuz birthdays usually mean party until the next day!! well at least for my family ;D

Intellectualist 0

ungrateful, spellcheck? ALSO, like #11 your eloquence is beautiful. I love it when 'ladies' say the 'C' word in a derogatory way.

#11? i thought i was number 11, then my msg disapeered and #12 became #11, now my msgs are back and im #11, your talking about #12 right?

Intellectualist 0

yes I was :) FML is confusing me today :(

I spent my 18th birthday drinking and passing out on the couch! without any gifts ofc

That's what you get when you're homeless and poor. Deal with it.

what the hell? why are all my posts getting delted besides my "double post"

now they are back... this fml forums are screwy

youthink_fml 0

Another teen pissed off because they think they're "entitled" and don't get what they want. YAWN!

And Harry Potter got a coat hanger and socks once. The good news is, now that you're 18, you can now legally do all the things you've been doing since you were twelve. And if you haven't, it's never to late. Reminds me, I wish FML would bring back the FML M&Ms.

oh yes FYL because you dont get a car or something! seriously get over it not everyone gets presents