By bdaygirl - 03/12/2009 07:33 - United States

Today, I turned eighteen. Thinking I was going to get a big present from my parents on this special day, I eagerly unwrapped my present. They got me a bag of M and M's. Last year I got flannel bed sheets. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 932
You deserved it 4 727

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Okay, come on. I bet some of her friends got cars and computers and iPods for their birthdays. I understand she shouldn't feel 'entitled' to anything, but can no one understand the disappointment? She isn't homeless or living in poverty so her parents can probably afford to spend well.... over three dollars on a gift for her eighteenth birthday. Yeah, it's not the end of the world, but you know what? Half you are posting these messages criticizing the OP from your goddamn iPhones that mommy and daddy bought you. I don't care if you're 'happy getting nothing' (I don't believe it for the majority of you, though) for your birthdays, everyone has a right to be a little irked when zero thought and effort goes into a gift for their coming of age birthday. My family isn't rich but if we're struggling with funds we still put in some effort for gifts. I work a little extra in order to spend some money on gifts for my family, why shouldn't parents do the same for their kids? And don't give me the recession bullshit, because if that had been the issue in the OP's case I'm sure she would have understood or they would have at least explained it to her. No gift would have been better than a thoughtless one. A note saying, 'honey, we're sorry we can't afford much this year, etc etc. ' would have probably changed things in the OP's mind. Stop being hypocrites.

Comments

You're 18 now, you're supposed to be an adult...stop being a whiny little brat about not getting presents.

minaakitten 0

hmmmm.... lets count the differences between the two of us... you have parents. i have been in state custody since i was five. you have people that acknowledge the fact that you are indeed getting older. i have an annual card from the bank saying "Happy Birthday Mina, you should deposit money." you have the gall to whine about how your narcissistic needs are not fulfilled. i have the gall to write hoe very appalled i am at that. sorry to say, but this attitude disgusts me.

Let's see MinaaKitten, Hmmmm... Someone cared enough about you to shelter you, clothe you and bathe you. You had three meals a day, schooling and a social life. You have money to put into a bank. You're whining.. why? You see, it doesn't feel so good, does it? Just because someone's problems may not be worse than yours, doesn't mean they're invalid. Tame the green-eyed jealousy monster and have some empathy. Stupid ****.

scribeforH 0

You need to pick out a present you like and tell your parents. Make it a semi cheap gift so you know what you will get. Don't be so hard on them, it sounds like they don't really know what you want.

Oh, I didn't even think about that. After all, what do you do when you don't know? STATIONARY, CLOTHING/BED STUFF, FOODS/TREATS, OR MONEY. I guess they could have given her money, but she IS 18.

i pity you. but i'm not expecting my parents to get me anything for my 18th birthday either. so enjoy your MnM's. they're good.

Hay! On my 18th i brought my own presents on my own free will! Being 18 isn't an excuse for being a dick. The OP needs to stop being a consumerist pig and thinking what makes birthdays fun are presents.

lol the wrapping was more expensive than the present

better then what i got for my 18th birthday.... wanna know what i got??? at 12:01am on my birthday... i was woken up and told get the f out of here... oh yeah happy birthday son

r0ck5t4r 3

What is wrong with you people? Calling her spoiled because she expected more than a bag of M & M's? Obviously she wouldn't expect to get something big if she knew her parents couldn't afford it. And this doesn't make her entitled. It makes her human. If your life happens to be worse than hers, that sucks, but it doesn't mean that she's spoiled or immature. I have a car, I get an allowance, and I hope to get good presents for my birthday-- not necessarily expensive, but at least thoughtful. But I'm not spoiled. I work at Gamestop for nearly minimum wage and I understand the value of money. I don't expect everything I want to be given to me. When I want to get a new video game or get my hair professionally dyed, I save up my hard-earned money for weeks. That last $300 I spent? Not on myself- I saved up all my money for over a month so I could buy Christmas presents for my family and boyfriend. People are allowed to have expectations that suit their lifestyle. If you live in poverty and your parents can barely afford to feed you, it would be immature and entitled to expect a big present. If your parents are financially stable and can at least afford bed linens- which I'm sure cost at LEAST $20- you can expect at least a little more than M & M's. PS Some people DO read the "essays." I do anyway. So writing long responses isn't retarded. And at least the people who write essays can spell right

melisa1211 0

If it makes u feel any better last year my dad got back surgery and was out of work. For my birthday I got a wrapped popcorn box, magazines and salt shakers a friend gave to my mom. fml.

Somewhat related story for you Op... On my 16th birthday I was told to go to my room and to sit in there and wait for my 'Ass Whoopin'. Later I was called out of my room to find my entire family waiting for me in the living room. "Surprise!" It would have been funny if my mom's Boyfriend at the time hadn't been physically and mentally abusing my brother and I for the last 3 years. But you got M&M's...so whatever.......