By boblaj - 22/05/2012 16:11 - United Kingdom - Hastings

Today, I took the day off work to be with my wife, since she's always bemoaning my lack of romantic gestures. As thanks, she spent most of the day reading Fifty Shades of Grey, which is basically a blatant plagiarism of Twilight, starring a pair of two-dimensional BDSM freaks. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 855
You deserved it 4 027

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Dammit redbluegreen! You edited your comment and now I look like an idiot.

Comments

YDI for playing hookie from work. You know how lucky you are to even have a job in this economy? And comparing that book to Twilight should be against the law. I don't know what's so great about that book, but everyone who reads it needs to lighten up and realize that's not how the world works.

Have you ever heard the expression "when you assume you make an a** out of you and me"? A lot of people make their own schedule. I work full time because that's the amount of effort I like to put into my work BUT I am an independent contractor so if I take a day off it's at my own free will. Not everyone is set to a certain schedule. So with 100% respect I am just trying to give you an example of why assuming isn't good.

misterbufford 1

So are you more upset that she ignored you for a book or that the book isn't Twilight?

rotflqtms_ 21

Twilight, released in 2005, could also be receiving a lot of hate because it's a blatant plagiarism of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series released in 2001, later popularized as True Blood (where people started asking if it was an adult copy of Twilight) I didn't feel like writing up the similarities, so I googled a post written way back in 2009, and here are the plot summaries and the author's (of the post) beliefs (which are my beliefs as well except where she said the copy was unintentional...) and I'm sure others will say Harris' boo is similar to others as well... It's just that the whole idea was stolen and made into a teen sparkly fanfic while the author who came up with that stuff wasn't even recognized for years... I found this as I googled Sookie Stackhouse Series vs Twilight release dates "Twilight (legally) Plagiarizes True Blood/ Sookie Stackhouse? Posted by Emily on July 3, 2009 at 9:21am in Archive View Discussions Many, many, MANY nerdfighters have read and or enjoyed the series of Twlight by Stephanie Meyer. Even I confess to have profusely liking them as when i read them. I'm sure many nerdfighters have also/and/or enjoyed/seen the series True Blood. It's very good, I agree. I found out there was a book series behind the TV show so I immediately began reading them. As I delved deeper into the Sookie Stackhouse Series (that's what the books are called) I made a disgusting connection between the two series. The plot of True Blood is a telepath (that is, mind reading) girl in northern Louisiana meets a vampire and falls in love with him because she cannot hear his thoughts. The author, Charlaine Harris, also includes Werewolves, covens of Vampires, and Shape Shifters (later in the series). The things she mentions about the Weres is that they have a high temperture, feel warm, and start were symptoms at puberty. She said that the Vampires who lived in Covens were more hostile whereas the ones who lived alone were more humane. She mentioned that certain groups of Shape Shifters had different eyes (goldenish) differen from the other shifters. Humans turn Vampire from a sequencee of being bitten and having their blood removed, replaced with some of the Vampire's, and changed over around a 2-3 day period. Sounding familiar? The plot of Twilight is that a Vampire who is a telepath (that is, a mind reader) meets a girl in Washington whom he cannot read her thoughts, and therefore falls in love with her. The author, Stephanie Meyer, also includes Werewolves and covens (later on in the series). She says how Weres have very high tempertures and feel extremely warm, and all of her werewolves turned to such at some point of teenagehood. She said the vampires who lived in Covens were more humane whereas the ones who roamed in smaller groups or alone were more hostile. She told how the group of Vampires who drank animal blood had different eyes from all the other vampires; their eyes were golden. Humans turned Vampire from being bitten by Vampires, and changed over a 3 day period. SOUNDING FAMILIAR? I'm sorry but it disgusts me how much she took from another book but changed it to be teeny bopper so she could target a more excitable audience. i know she says it started from a dream, which it probaby did, but no one can pretend that this is coincedince that she didn't at least get ideas from this book series. It's just really sad that someone spent 3 months on a book and became famous for it when it wasn't even her original idea, whereas someone else spent years and years on books with similar ideas but more adult content, and was given very little appreciation in contrast, and only got more recent attention because her copier made the industry realized the audience wanted more Vampire stuff. Really, people? I ask the favor of anyone who reads this to read both series and just compare and be aware of all the under-the-table plagiarism that goes on today. Sookie Stackhouse Series, by Charlaine Harris. True Blood. twilight, by Stephanie Meyer. >>>P.S. I realize this isn't actual, federal-offense plagiarism, (that's why she's not being fined), I just wanted to know other people's opinions and to mention those facts to raise attention. I do not think Steph Meyer intentionally stole Most of what was 'coincedantly' linked through the series', --for a lot of ideas remain in our minds long after we forgot where we got them from-- but it doesn't change the fact that she did."

My mom is reading that book! Btw its all about sex

I never knew you could type such a big comment.. But it might just look big on my iPhone

GaleHawthorne 0

The really long comment... IT MENTIONED NERDFIGHTERS!! DFTBA!!

josiebella 1

I've read both. Fifty Shades is MUCH better, and I really don't see a comparison. The characters are fairly close in age, he's not a vampire...how is it a plagiarism of Twilight exactly?

Scroll up or down a little bit from your comment and find out.

Fifty Shades of Grey was originally written as Twilight Fan fiction.

I've never read the Sookie Srackhouse series, but I've watched True Blood, and yes there certainly are some similarities with Twilight. Writers often take elements from other stories. For example, many of Shakespeare's plays were just poetically scripted versions of existing stories.

However, it would be nice if Stephanie Meyer would give the source of her inspiration some credit.

whydudthathappen 1

You do realize twilight is the one that plagarizes Fifty Shades Of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey was originally written as Twilight Fan fiction.