By Anonymous - 19/04/2012 04:46 - United States - Sparks

Today, I finally asked some friends to read the beginning of a novel that I'd been slaving away at. One of them said it was the literary equivalent of aquarium gravel. Another asked if I'd been sniffing boot polish while writing it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 878
You deserved it 4 644

Same thing different taste

Top comments

But aquarium gravel is tough and gritty! If your novel is a mystery, I think that was a great compliment. Wait a second...it's also really disgusting and slimy and smells like dead fish...

Aquarium gravel? Sniffing boot polish? In that case, I suggest you write erotic literature instead..

Comments

Raymond carver was an older person before anyone paid attention to him. As he said sometimes lightening just strikes. Keep writing it will happen one day.

jacquesromualdez 12

May i ask if i can read the said novel? Hmm.

ssnowywinter 0

For future reference, if you plan on mocking someone, at least spell their name right.

**** em if they don't appreciate your genius!

KaelaKhaotic 5

Like they really know what good literature is. Don't listen to them. They have no idea what they're talking about.

Oh, you read it and know these people, then? Unless this is the case: Hollow reassurance is nicer than nonconstructive criticism, but less honest and equally useless.

Are your friends bitter English majors perhaps?

bertman21 5

At least they were honest. Imagine if you brought it to a publisher and they told you the same.

perdix 29

I'm guessing you plagiarized "Ulysses." All you need is to find a few pretentious lunatics to proclaim you a "genius," and the rest of us will be bullied into reading your claptrap.

I can't write for crap either, so don' t feel alone.

On the bright side, at least you have friends you can trust to give honest criticism. If they say they like what you produce, you can trust they mean it.