By Anonymous - 19/04/2012 04:46 - United States - Sparks

Today, I finally asked some friends to read the beginning of a novel that I'd been slaving away at. One of them said it was the literary equivalent of aquarium gravel. Another asked if I'd been sniffing boot polish while writing it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 878
You deserved it 4 644

Same thing different taste

Top comments

But aquarium gravel is tough and gritty! If your novel is a mystery, I think that was a great compliment. Wait a second...it's also really disgusting and slimy and smells like dead fish...

Aquarium gravel? Sniffing boot polish? In that case, I suggest you write erotic literature instead..

Comments

TriztenJ 0

Well im sure they said some stuff bout shakespeare... Maybe they arent very good at literature "/

Nemle22 4

You asked. They answered. Now go rewrite.

FarscapeSDC 9

I write in my spare time to entertain myself. I asked one of my friends to read the first chapter of a novel I was writing, and she insulted me by saying the worst possible thing she could have. She said....... "It's almost as bad as Twilight." Suffice to say, I burnt the chapter in shame and started again, she likes the new version better. Apparently a story about monster hunters is instantly made better by setting it in the Roman empire, transforming the main characters from regular blokes to lesbian vampires, and changing the story to include magic. OP, you shouldn't compromise your work for what other people want, but if EVERYONE hates something, you should change it. Hint hint, Stephanie Meyer. (P.S. I know a lot of people like twilight, but seeing as reading it causes you to drop about 30 IQ points, I don't think we should take the opinions of those Twi-hards too seriously)

Ah, you must be the author of 50 Shades of Gray!

Your friends clearly have a way with words, maybe you should ask them for help on the second draft.

At least they're honest. I mean they could've expressed their dislike a little less hurtfull but I think it's better for them to tell you their real opinion instead of straight out lying to you and telling you how great of a writer you are. Next time ask for constructive critícism though. Ask them why they didn't like it and how you could improve it. Don't scrap you're first draft! Improve on it! Writing is hard so don't give up. It's something you can practice like everything else! Start with short stories and see how people like them. Then go back to your novel and rewrite it the way you want it. Don't give up!!!