National bard

By bad poet - 02/12/2013 01:57 - United States - Millerton

Today, my boyfriend asked me to write him a poem, as I am an avid writer. Happily, I agreed. After hours of working, I proudly presented it to him. He read it, laughed, and said, "No babe, I meant a real poem." Maybe I should rethink my career choice. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 742
You deserved it 4 640

Same thing different taste

Top comments

He is so rude. I bet that what you wrote was amazing tho.

JocelynKaulitz 28

Some people just don't understand poems like others do. I bet it's good.

Comments

He is so rude. I bet that what you wrote was amazing tho.

Either way, her stating that she needs to rethink her career choice because her boyfriend didn't agree is pretty sad....

Trooth 13

Always follow your dreams! And then shove your success in the faces of everyone who got in your way ;)

what i want to know is, in what realm is poet really a carrier choice? i mean i guess there's writer and things like that, but unless I'm wrong, poet doesnt typically pay well.

I would say find a career that pays for everything and let poetry be your second job. Why rely so heavily on something so unstable?

roses are red, violets are blue, im am single and so are you but I dont mean do it over a poem

#80 career please learn how to proof read

@ #20 That's what I did. Feels amazing!

JocelynKaulitz 28

Some people just don't understand poems like others do. I bet it's good.

caohm 18

quieting because of one bump in the road is like slashing the other three tires because one got flat.

I'm a rhyme kind of person myself. You don't need to think as much to get pleasure out of a rhyme :))

Aky0n 10

he didn't have to be a dick about it

hey dont blame him, he may have honestly thought you wrote him a crap poem as a joke

SherlockWHolmes 12

Perhaps instead of rethinking your career, rethink your boyfriend.

she should rethink her boyfriend just because he didn't like her poem? what the ****

crazytwinsmom 25

Because he was a jerk about it. He could have been tactful or just said thank you.

Rainhawk94 27

This is probably the reason for so much divorce and break ups in the US, over the smallest things

#63, nobody said anything about breaking up with him, but rather just think about how often he's such a jerk. Unless this is just a one time thing.

SherlockWHolmes 12

I never necessarily meant breaking up with him. I just think OP shouldn't rethink being a writing because of one negative opinion.

Maybe he isn't smart(well deep) enough to understand it's deep meaning.

Since we don't know how your poem went, it's hard to tell whether YDI or FYL. However, you did put hours of hard work which shows you tried and honestly cared about presenting a meaningful poem, but his interpretation just wasn't what you intended it to be. FYL OP.

Well gee. That was a bit insulting. But if you want this to be your career, you need to learn to accept the criticism.

criticism is one thing out right telling someone their work is crap is another thing entirely

Yeah, there's a difference between constructive criticism and just flat out insulting something. OP's boyfriend did the latter.

fluffywaspluka 7

#86 Why? If something is crap, then you say “This is crap.” I don't understand the need to beat around the bush.

A person's take on a poem is very subjective. You really shouldn't let his comment hinder your passion for writing.

I agree - poetry is super subjective. I wonder if he was just being a dummy & thought poetry has to rhyme!