By Anonymous - 11/03/2015 18:43 - United States

Today, I finally accepted I need help with my anxiety issues. I started small and I joined a support forum and wrote a post. I was quickly called a troll by multiple users, accused of faking it, and told to "fuck off back to Tumblr" because they wouldn't believe my anxiety is really so serious. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 947
You deserved it 3 797

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I have also been diagnosed with anxiety. I found it helpful to talk to a counsellor, maybe you would too.

CurlyQute 17

I've been there before. Not the forum, but the anxiety.

Comments

Chelserser 20

I've struggled with anxiety as well. I found it helpful to do things I usually wouldn't do. Just taking small steps out of my comfort zone. Glad to see you're trying to take control of your anxiety instead of letting it control you. Best wishes to you op :)

I also have anxiety issues. your not alone :) ?

Having visited a few mental health forums over the years, I'd like to express my sincere condolences you were treated like that by those douchebags. That said, there are a multitude of other forums out there that shouldn't be judged by that example - I've found some wonderful groups that have been invaluable to me when I needed help, & I'm very grateful for them. Perhaps limit any future communications to boards with strict behavioural guidelines, which have a moderator present to oversee & remove any troublemakers - that should allow you to share experiences safely, without bullies interrupting. Oh, & good onya too, for being brave enough to seek help! That's sometimes the hardest part, which you know all too well, but it's worth trying again - you can overcome this bastard illness!

I have such severe anxiety that i had to drop out of high school my sophomore year. Im now a senior and i cant leave my house. Its so much better to get professional help early on because it helps tremendously! Therapy is one of the best things ive ever done for myself and it wasnt easy. My first two therapists were god awful and luckily i tried a third and we clicked. dont be afraid to get help and continue to get help OP!

whats to be anxious about? dont get me wrong, some people suck, being around people can suck.. but i mean its not like everyones out to hurt you

anxiety can be about going out of the house, meeting people, shopping, being alone. anxiety isn't about everyone being out to get you. I know I'm anxious about money, my ocd tendencies, my health, going out around people ect. before you belittle someone for a mental health issue you should at least know what the hell you're talking about.

**** up idiot, i never belittled anyone, i was asking a genuine question . get that stick out of your ass

"whats there to be anxious about" i asked a question, i didnt belittle anyone.

you belittled her by asking why she would be anxious. what's there to be anxious about is the same as asking what is there to be depressed about? if she is clinically anxious then she doesn't need a reason or reasons to be anxious she just is. she could be stressing out about finances, weather, love life, people in general. it could be anything at all.

You may as well ask "what's there to have diabetes about?" It's not a choice, it's not a rational thing, it's a disorder.

obviously if youre anxious theres something to be anxious about...

you answered my comment anyway 'weather, people, ocd' like you've arched up because i was curious, but youve contradicted yourself.

Asking that question gives the impression that you think OP shouldn't have anxiety because she should see that it's fine, so you are belittling her by seeming to suggest that she chooses to be anxious, and that she could stop. If you have anxiety, you can start to fear interactions with other people and believe the worst, but at the same time you are constantly beating yourself up because you tell yourself you're being stupid for being scared. So when you ask that, it's only going to make her feel more like people will judge her for her anxiety and suggest that she should get over it.

the doctors have me on setraline for my anxiety issues. I can tell you right now that it's amazing. it took a few months to build up in my system but it's week worth the wait because now my anxiety, ocd, and depression is all managed with that one pill. good luck with the doctors and if you need someone to talk to about it please hit me up.

Cozy_Blanket 16

Unfortunately a lot of people on the Internet just don't care. Granted if you need help I would seek it professionally in person, but that doesn't give someone the right to be downright rude or cruel to you.

People can be so close-minded and arrogant... I hope all goes well for you and remember to block out all of the negative!!!!