By Anonymous - 14/04/2013 14:22 - United States - Big Lake

Today, I asked my grandmother to hem my prom dress for me. I'm her oldest granddaughter so I thought she'd be happy to do it. She said no. Her occupation is a seamstress. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 251
You deserved it 7 996

Same thing different taste

Top comments

nattynatters 14

Some people feel used when family asks them for free labor. Maybe you should have offered to do something nice in return?

rahulcool7 14

I don't think it is that common to know how to hem a dress.

Comments

My grandma is the very opposite. She will take our clothes to hem them without us knowing.

Something tells me you threw it at her at the last minute and expected her to rush it for you just because you're her granddaughter. Like you said, her occupation is being a seamstress. Paying customers come before spoiled relatives looking for free services.

Maybe you should offer her money. Only reason I would say no is because I'm always doing it for you other than that, I'm not too fond of the family members who always want money.

This could have easily been turned into an opportunity to learn and teach something useful, by asking her to show you how to hem a dress.

I fix computers for a living and I sure don't want to fix my family's computer problems (or friends for that matter) on my spare time. Maybe if you had asked her to teach you the answer would have been different.

I don't blame her, she probably wants to forget about work when she's home.

You're not entitled to her skills, especially for free. Maybe she needs the money.