By Anonymous - 14/04/2013 14:22 - United States - Big Lake

Today, I asked my grandmother to hem my prom dress for me. I'm her oldest granddaughter so I thought she'd be happy to do it. She said no. Her occupation is a seamstress. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 251
You deserved it 7 996

Same thing different taste

Top comments

nattynatters 14

Some people feel used when family asks them for free labor. Maybe you should have offered to do something nice in return?

rahulcool7 14

I don't think it is that common to know how to hem a dress.

Comments

HannahBee1017 9

Yeah sometimes people don't like doing their job for free. Offer her money. You sound a bit like an ingrate. YDI.

She's likely pretty suck of your lack of initiative. You should ask her help in teaching you how to gem your dress. Grow a set and do not be afraid of a little work. Sheesh!!

OliveTree_13 6

Did she at least tell you why she wouldn't do it?

Ask her how much she charges and offer to pay her while crying your eyes out and saying you can't find anyone who can do it in time. (Needs to be a real performance here) She will most likely be shamed into doing it for free. And when she gives it back jest throw it over your shoulder and say "Thanks bitch" on your way out the door. One less at the wedding.

Why are all the "Comment hidden. Too many negative votes." all saying "Learn to do it yourself"? Sounds like a good idea to me.

Because learning to hem a dress on your own prom dress is an awful idea that will likely end in tears and a mangled dress.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

Never ASSUME. Because you make an ass out of U and Me. LOL!

xbgirlx 10

that seems very presumptuous of you. I'm the oldest granddaughter on both sides of the family, and I would never ask either of my grandmothers to do that, unless I offered to pay as well. don't expect things to be handed to you just because you are the oldest

Hemming a prom gown is not a simple five minute project... Kind of hard to do your own dress, too, unless you have a dressmaker dummy around the house. Op shouldn't just expect her grandmother to be thrilled to do it, either...

You may be the oldest...but you are not her favorite o.O...