By Anonymous - 08/12/2012 19:30 - United States - Long Beach

Today, feeling very distant from my daughter recently, I decided to sneak a peek in her diary to see what was on her mind. The book was apparently one of those that play the sound of a woman screaming when opened improperly, and alerted everyone in the house to my actions. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 788
You deserved it 62 298

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Mearemoi 14

If you were distant, shouldn't you, oh I don't know, try to talk to her instead of looking at her diary? YDI

Say hello to trust issues and an even greater distance..

Comments

Holy shit, I thought those diaries were only in Harry Potter

My mom read my diary about a year ago, when I happened to be going through a bad breakup with the first person I had been properly in love with- this wasn't something I wanted to share with my mother, (as much as I love her, as a divorcee she has a very jaded and negative view on love, and tends to scoff at such ideas) my older sister however was there for me throughout, so it's not like I was being introverted in the slightest. I had always felt that we were quite close; I told my mom a lot of things and only hid that which I considered private and personal. The fact that she disregarded the idea that I am an actual human being and felt that as my mother she had the right to delve into my personal belongings and rifle through my most private thoughts has irreparably damaged our relationship. I no longer trust her, and it also caused temporary damage between me and my boyfriend (we eventually worked through our issues, no thanks to my mother) and a few of my friends, as many of them had been mentioned in the diary, and my mother can't keep a secret to save her life. I'll never look at her the same way again, she'll always be my mom, and i'll always love her, but she's still the woman who betrayed my trust because she felt like I was 'holding out on her'. You need to understand that it's not just 'reading her diary', it's going behind her back because you don't trust that she'll come to you if she needs you, now she has every reason to distrust you, congratulations. Top parenting.

pipc 10

Wonderful way to increase the distance between you and her. You deserved this, and your daughter deserves respect and privacy.

andthepennydrops 6

why do parents always think that looking at their kids' diaries is a good idea?

From being in that situation, I can say you've just made it worse. Now, you're really going to feel distant from her because she's not going to want to talk to you now that you attempted to invade her privacy.

I hit the YDI button as soon as I read "I read her diary..." You should never read your child's diary unless you feel she is going to hurt herself or someone else.

If you wanted to know what was on her mind, why didn't you just sit down with her and ask her? Also, diaries are written for a reason;so that your thoughts are private. No-one wants their personal diary to be read by someone else! YDI

phoenixfinest823 4

This is why your daughter is distant. Fool.

Haha....a diary alarm. I love that girl.

Yeeaahh maybe instead of reading her diary and invading her privacy, you should've tried talking to her