By Anonymous - 08/12/2012 19:30 - United States - Long Beach

Today, feeling very distant from my daughter recently, I decided to sneak a peek in her diary to see what was on her mind. The book was apparently one of those that play the sound of a woman screaming when opened improperly, and alerted everyone in the house to my actions. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 788
You deserved it 62 296

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Mearemoi 14

If you were distant, shouldn't you, oh I don't know, try to talk to her instead of looking at her diary? YDI

Say hello to trust issues and an even greater distance..

Comments

My mom tried that, didn't work for her either lol

heinous966 15

YDI for trying to snoop in her diary. I would mega pissed if my mom did that. Just... Don't... Invade.. Privacy. It's not that hard. She has every right to keep her thoughts to herself.

onorexveritas 23

I don't understand why moms do this. if you were my mom, I'd hate you.

Obey_StudBoii 23

Ydi for invading her privacy. If your really concerned about her, sit her down and talk with her.

Therewhenneeded 16

That is why you either try to sit and have a mature conversation, or write a simple, heartfelt letter. Even if you are rebuffed your daughter would still know you are there for her and won't judge.

NoahEibon 11

I thought I would add my story of my parent being too overbearing...My mother never let me hang out with boys and never let me go many places with my friends(who are very well behaved). Eventually I started going behind her back, I would sneak over to a guys house or hang out with him after school and have sex because I never had the freedom I wanted just to hangout with a guy, but when I had the opportunity to be with one I went all out. And with the friend situation I would do the same thing(minus the intercourse). I would sneak around my mom like that because she didn't let me have the freedom I wanted. Hell I still do it because she is too overbearing, yes, I understand she wants mě to be safe but it is all too much and it makes me rebel. As a result I don't talk to my mother about anything and I don't want her too involved in my life. I guess what Im trying to say is that it is not good to keep your child under your thumb all the time because it stresses them out. You don't have to be their bff either, but it is easier to have that relationship because in the long run you two will be there for eachother.

NoahEibon 11

Oops forgot to add @Kayaker, oh well I was late in the conversation anyways...

Never EVER read your daughter's diary. You'll find out about things you didn't want to know about , then you'll get mad at her like any other hypocritical mother.

That's one if the stupidest things I think parents can do.... If your parent had read your journal growing up would you have remotely understood ?!?!? Most likely not. as a teenager myself, keeping a journal is one of the best outlets... You should've tried to talk to her first and if you were THAT concerned see if she is speaking with a school guidance counsellor or what not so you know she is safe...