By Anonymous - 03/07/2016 23:22

Today, after months of planning and saving for our honeymoon in Italy, my wife and I were turned away at the airport because my passport only has a month until it expires, even though it's only a five-day trip. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 164
You deserved it 3 936

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well I for one had no idea it was like that. I don't think OP deserved it at all. That's awful because their dream honeymoon was ruined.

lukcy_basartd 11

Despite all the rules, regulations and basic shit that you should have an understanding of, NOBODY deserves this shit. Dumbass procedures and policies revolving around an unexpired passport...what a ******* joke. Sorry OP, hope you newly weds still find a time n place to have a honeymoon. Furthermore, I really hope you got a decent amount of coin back from what you paid into.

Comments

Even if it's not common knowledge, how do you spend months planning and not think to check that your passport fulfills regulations? YDI for not being responsible enough to check policies. That said, I'm a 22-year-old whose parents have never left the country, and my only travel was a nine-day supervised trip with an orchestra, but I still knew that a passport that expires in a month won't work for leaving the country... The month you had left was for getting back if something went wrong, not for leaving.

But OP knew where they were going, and even if it were a "to be on the safe side, you'll want a passport that's valid for 6 months" wouldn't you think they could have renewed their passport? It just seems like if you're spending months saving and planning for something, you don't say "meh close enough" to the one factor that's necessary to make it legally possible.

This is why it is important to check entry requirements of the places you visit. Sorry your honeymoon was ruined, but it could've been avoided with a little more planning.

That seems like a ridiculous policy because you CAN renew your passport in another country at an embassy.

i never heard of this OP ..but i don't have a passport either

a passport needs to be atleast a half a year till expiring will they let you through. I don't know from what country you travel but if it's from the USA to Italy, they are really strict on that

As a frequent traveler, my first instinct was to vote ydi, but it wasn't an option; it was either yls or tchtm (which it most certainly couldnt have bc I personally know better). Those saying 6 months validity should be common knowledge must remember that's only so for people who travel with any amt of frequency, and most people don't travel much, if at all, and a surprising (for me) number of people don't even have or need a passport. Still, I struggle to understand how this could happen. You ALWAYS check the entry/exit requirements, recommended shots, food precautions, etc. for your destination before you go, and even if you didn't already know that wasn't there any info in your flight confirmation to that effect? Im still sorry that this happened to the op and hope things turned out ok in the end.

What's the point of having an expiration date if it's invalid six months prior to the date.

so that you don't get stuck on the other side with an invalid travel document. You also need at least two open pages in your passport so that they have a place to apply the stamp.

Everyone travelling with a passport should be aware that one cannot travel with it if it expires in the next 6 months. It is an international standard. If you read the visa requirements and instructions properly you would have known this. Your travel agent and the Italian embassy should have told you. No sympathy from me YDI.

Cleary there wasn't that much planning becuase if you had you would know you can't travel 6 months before your passport expires.