The devil is in the details

By Anonymous - 16/10/2019 06:00 - Australia

Today, after cancelling work, arguing with my family, scrambling to pack my bags, speeding to the airport and filling in immigration forms to fly out to have a much needed holiday, I wasn't allowed to check in. My passport has less than 6 months away from expiration on it. Yes, that's a thing, apparently. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 372
You deserved it 1 371

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sara Niemantsverdriet 12

It's not an Australian government thing. A lot of countries require 6 months validity on a passport or they don't let you in. The airlines can actually be fined for carrying passengers that are then turned back at the airport in their destination country, so they stop it at check-in I don't get it either, but them's the rules.

That's quite common and in my experience it's mentioned in most airline check lists and information writings. Shame about your holiday though

Comments

Of course it’s a thing. Even I know that and I don’t even have a passport. YDI

And just where did you first learn about this caveat? I've had a US passport for 10 yrs and have never heard of it. Is it an Australian gov't thing only? Thx! :-)

I never knew this either. granted I got mine as an 18 year old so I probably didn't read everything. Still, I didn't know it so I could have faced the same situation.

It's written in the information for travelling by plane, also depending on what country but it's the rule for international flights usually. You're only allowed to stay 6 months per calendar year out of your country as any longer, you lose your residency. Unless of course, you start filing for Visa's for extended travel times, and that's done months in advance. Having less than that left on your expiration flags you for possible abandonment AND as others said, makes it so you don't have an expired passport if you do plan to come back in 6 months for any extenuating circumstances. Protects you and them! This fact is 100% tested and true for USA and Canada from personal experience as an immigrant from one country to the other!

bl3ur0z3 17

So it's not expired yet, but it will in less than 6 months so you can't travel now? What's the point of an expiration date if you can't use it up until that date? I'd go "Karen" on them.

Yea, but this is the Australian federal gov't. I doubt that they'll bend the rules for anybody, but high-ranking gov't officials.

Yea that's sadly a thing. I believe it's to prevent people from getting stranded with an expired passport that was still fine when they left the country.

That's quite common and in my experience it's mentioned in most airline check lists and information writings. Shame about your holiday though

Sara Niemantsverdriet 12

It's not an Australian government thing. A lot of countries require 6 months validity on a passport or they don't let you in. The airlines can actually be fined for carrying passengers that are then turned back at the airport in their destination country, so they stop it at check-in I don't get it either, but them's the rules.

I once heard the 6 month rule explained as a sort of buffer, in case something goes really wrong and you are delayed leaving (medical issues, legal trouble, whatever).

Sorry, but YDI. It was mentioned at least a dozen times when I buy tickets

I've never understood this policy. "OH NO! DANNY WON'T STILL BE DANNY IN SIX MONTHS! HE MIGHT BE SOMEONE TOTALLY DIFFERENT!"