By shameonme - 29/08/2014 02:05 - Thailand - Bangkok

Today, I’m in Thailand and I met a monk. The conversation was so deep and interesting that, without thinking, I sat down next to him. I didn’t know that he’s not allowed to sit next to a woman. Now he has to fast for several days. FML
I agree, your life sucks 774
You deserved it 95

Top comments

You didn't know, OP. At least now you know something interesting about a different religion and culture. Plus he's a monk, I'm sure he understands that you didn't know and isn't mad or otherwise upset with you.

Sounds to me like the situation sucks more for him. :-/

Comments

You didn't know, OP. At least now you know something interesting about a different religion and culture. Plus he's a monk, I'm sure he understands that you didn't know and isn't mad or otherwise upset with you.

Sounds to me like the situation sucks more for him. :-/

askullnamedbilly 33

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

just like that you assumed he thinks badly of women? I would say you need help.

Lesson learned OP, I'm sure it isn't the end of the world for the monk.

some people actually want to go the extra mile, I'm sure he wouldn't mind it too much!!

ChopSuey444 20

Idk why this has so many down votes. Some people really do love opportunities to serve/show devotion to their God. It's an accurate and perfectly legitimate comment.

sylvienoir 18

He is the one who decided to be a monk and follow those rules so don't feel bad!

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Big_D_Real 12

Why are you acting righteous? Do you know the culture of every country? That's a mistake anyone from any country could make. Get over yourself.

#8 - considering 7 is also American and their profile states "hater", I think they are just trolling.

Saluriel 12

What confuses me is that he was punished for you sitting next to him. Religious orders are stupid like that; he should've just been able to stand up and have no harm, no foul. It wasn't his action.

MikaykayUnicorn 36

It makes no sense but that's just how it is. People get punished for the actions of others.

also you're not supposed to sit higher than the monk it's very disrespectful... and I've been to a lao temple before.

evlbb2 2

Dont worry about it. Next time just give him some money to donate to his cause / temple / other good organization stuff. Also maybe bring him some water or ask if he can have juice.

ChopSuey444 20

You should actually educate yourself as thoroughly as possible before going to a place like that. I mean the mistake was absolutely normal and OP shouldn't feel bad, but it's just common courtesy to know as much as you can before meeting someone who's dedicated his/her life to a strict religion.

Not true. Women cannot touch a Thai Buddhist monk. Sitting near is fine.

I know you can't know the intricacies of every culture, but if you're going to hang out with monks, you should at least make an effort to read up on their way of life.

Which would make sense but there are a lot of sects and many follow different beliefs.

ChopSuey444 20

We live in the wonderful age of Google. if you know what country you're in and the name of the area/temple you're visiting, it's not difficult to figure out. I'm sure temples understand when a visitor has questions, but monks are complicated and take their religion seriously (obviously). You could be putting their literal souls at jeapordy by waltzing in uneducated on their customs. It's rude to take something like that lightly.