By Anonymous - 03/07/2016 23:22

Today, after months of planning and saving for our honeymoon in Italy, my wife and I were turned away at the airport because my passport only has a month until it expires, even though it's only a five-day trip. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 164
You deserved it 3 936

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well I for one had no idea it was like that. I don't think OP deserved it at all. That's awful because their dream honeymoon was ruined.

lukcy_basartd 11

Despite all the rules, regulations and basic shit that you should have an understanding of, NOBODY deserves this shit. Dumbass procedures and policies revolving around an unexpired passport...what a ******* joke. Sorry OP, hope you newly weds still find a time n place to have a honeymoon. Furthermore, I really hope you got a decent amount of coin back from what you paid into.

Comments

I'm a former airline supervisor. The two common reasons we had to deny boarding was booking in the married name and traveling with a maiden name on the passport and the passport expiration. Not all countries have the six month rule though. What you have to understand, from the airlines perspective, is if you're denied entry into a country for travel documents, the airline is fined and is responsible fit your return. It isn't the airline making the rules, it's the state departments of each country. It sucked to tell someone they couldn't go. But at the same time, travelers should take the time to research visa and entry requirements. It's why travel agents are invaluable for foreign travel.

That really sucks but it should've been something you look into. Even if it's "only a 5 day trip" people spontaneously extend their stays all the time so I'm sure that's why that rule is in place.

Ok, everyone "THAT TRAVELS INTERNATIONALLY AT ALL" should know that less than 6 months remaining on your passport gets you denied access, but for those that only travel once every few years it is your responsibility to LEARN THE RULES before you buy your tickets! Sorry, but YDI on this one.

This is super weird, but last weekend my grandma told me about a person ahead of her in line at the airport who had this exact problem. I wonder if it was you? I think they were in Chicago. I'll have to ask her, because that would be weird.

You deserve it. It's pretty basic. You need six months on your passport. Why did you now know this?

Everyone commenting YDI is condescending and lame. Who checks to see if something unexpired is still usable? Is there anything else in the entire world that this is true for? So why would you ever think it would be true for this? Might as well say YDI for getting food poisoning from x unexpired food because "everyone knows" that one particular food goes bad three weeks before its expiration date.

Well, think of it like this. Would you let someone into your country knowing their single identification document would become invalid before they had to leave?? Many countries have this rule and it is up to the recipient country to accept or deny someone. So yeh, this is a YDI in my book. Ignorance of the law isn't a good excuse.

ReilyStafford You're being a condescending dick. How do you know these rules about the passport? Because someone told you. Not everyone travels often, and it's not an obvious thing to check for.

The food/passport comparison is ridiculous. This is very basic travel knowledge, nobody 'told' me this, I found it out while doing my research before I first travelled abroad independently in my early 20s.

catanita 18

This is a well known fact amongst those who travel abroad often. Bot for those who travel once or twice a year is a novelty. I think when you go and apply for a passport, those authorities must inform you about this kind of stuff. I think the passport is no longer usable if it has six months or less until it expires.

tounces7 27

Since when can you be turned away because something is "almost" expired? Do they not understand the concept of expiration?

You get a 90 day visa to stay in Italy. Why should they give you that if your passport will expire in < 90 days?? Don't you get the concept of a visa?

Since when do people not know how passports work?

I work at a passport center, and here's what's mist likely going on: Italy, like most European countries, impose a requirement that our American passports must have 6months validity left on it. This requirement varies from country to country, so you should always check at our website, travel.state.gov, and see that. I don't know if op has an American passport or not, but that's my best guess.

The terms and conditions of travel are outlined in your e-ticket. With international travel you generally can't travel on a passport with less than 6 months remaining.