By Anonymous - 03/07/2016 23:22

Today, after months of planning and saving for our honeymoon in Italy, my wife and I were turned away at the airport because my passport only has a month until it expires, even though it's only a five-day trip. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 164
You deserved it 3 936

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well I for one had no idea it was like that. I don't think OP deserved it at all. That's awful because their dream honeymoon was ruined.

lukcy_basartd 11

Despite all the rules, regulations and basic shit that you should have an understanding of, NOBODY deserves this shit. Dumbass procedures and policies revolving around an unexpired passport...what a ******* joke. Sorry OP, hope you newly weds still find a time n place to have a honeymoon. Furthermore, I really hope you got a decent amount of coin back from what you paid into.

Comments

sad to say not many travelers know all the rules. but . do beleive your passport need 1-3 months of it not being expierd depending on your country.

Sorry but despite all pleas from people that say it is not a YDI, for any trip u check requirements like visa and vaccinations etc. having a passport valid for X months is part of it. Sorry but a YDI for not doing a basic check. With your months of planning etc.

Did no one tell you that's how it works?? If your passport expires 6 months before you will return from a trip abroad, you get it renewed. Sorry about your luck, but next time do your research a little better.

Your passport needs to be valid for 6 months from depature in case you need to be quarantined. EVERY travel site tells you this. YDI.

That's pretty standard, and would be the same if an Italian wanted to visit the US with a one month' expiry date on the passport. It's about the passport being valid for how long you're allowed to stay, not how long you initially plan to.

askullnamedbilly 33

You can do it, I believe in you.

While that sucks, YDI. You're passport is so close to expiration that you should have checked the rules on it.

To everyone who says that it doesn't make sense; the reason they can't let you travel anywhere with a passport that is expiring in a few months, is because if something happens that makes all the planes cancelled in any airport down there, you are forced to stay, and if you can't get home before your passport has expired, well, you are in big trouble. It will be really hard to get at new passport and then you can't come home for even longer! It is because of your safety. I know it sucks and all, I would've hated it too, but that is just how it is.. Sorry for my English I'm from Denmark

liria_fml 15

For all the planing you did YDI. You didn't plan properly. You should always make sure if you need a visa and shots too before traveling.

If you were in another country (where you can't get a job because you don't have a work visa) and something happened (horrible weather conditions forcing cancelled planes, war breaks out, you suddenly decide to stay as long as the country lets you, etc) and your passport expired, you wouldn't be able to reenter your country without a new one. And to get it renewed, you would need money. Which you can't get with no job. Thus you have no where you can go and you can't stay where you are either. Thats why you need a passport valid for longer than a month. YDI for not once checking the rules of a passport in all of those planning months, or in the years you've had a passport.