Simmer down, Karen

By mando - 06/10/2011 15:14 - Australia

Today, at work, I refused a customer a refund because there was nothing wrong with the item, and she didn't have the packaging. I then watched as she and her son rummaged through a public bin for the packaging. When I refused her again, she called me a "fucking idiot". FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 009
You deserved it 7 004

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

cptmorgan6 8

That's when you rip out her ovaries and make the kid eat them while she watches in agony.

I can understand you refusing on grounds of no/dirty packaging but refusing a refund because "there was nothing wrong with the item" seems a bit unfair. As long it's in good condition, she has a receipt, and she returns it quickly she should be allowed to return it no matter what her reasons.

No packaging or tag = no return it's policy -_- what's up with people use your logic how would you resell that item without packaging a kid could easily grab it and say it was previously purchased the day before.

TraceCase_ 19

You don't resell it, but big retailers take them back anyway because it's good customer service. Sometimes they can send the items back to the manufacturer and get credit for it and sometimes they take a loss. Bottom line, if you do the math, which do you think is a better business decision? Taking a loss on a $20 return or standing by your "policy" and risking losing a lifetime regular shopper who might have spent a couple hundred bucks a month in your store and also might be so pissed about their experience they convince a couple of friends not to shop there anymore either?

stacianichole 2

Yeah, at the place I work we will take back items (shampoo, conditioner, styling products) as long as they're 2/3rd full, or it's within the allowed time with a receipt whether it can be sold or not. Doesn't matter what the reason is.

Having worked in retail before (womens clothing) I personally know that you can return any item if the cashier "chooses" to do so! If you wanted to give someone a break you can. And I agree with what the other commentor said, not returning it because it was in perfect condition and there was nothing wrong with it, is a little stupid. Usually that would be a perfect reason to return it. Now it totally depends on what op is selling, but if it was clothes let's say, than if there's no tag, I know for a fact that you can still return it, look up the price, and stick a new tag on it. I just think some stores take everything to seriously! And the other commentor was right, if you return almost anything and have lenient policies, people will want to keep shopping there because of the great customer service! I know one store that doesn't allow returns at all so my mom won't shop there for me for Christmas, because if it doesn't fit or I don't like it there's nothing we can do. The way I look at it, give people a break, and treat the customer like you'd want to be treated if you were shopping there!

Every store is different as far as their return policy is concerned

RedPillSucks 31

If you have a receipt, some stores will accept a return, but they charge you a "restocking fee". OP. Your response could have been "I'm not the ******* idiot trying to return something without the package" As long as the manager isn't around. Although, I can understand some of the customers frustration. Some packages are impossible to open without completely destroying the packaging.

Heh, sucks, OP. Did you snicker at her and look at the bin where she was rummaging for a packaging while denying her request? Probably shoulda audibly (to her and her son) shared your story with co-workers/manager there itself, too. :P

So your saying act like a child and publicly embarrass someone who was just trying to return something and might not have known about the stores return policy? And she must have had a serious need for the return if she went through the trash to get the package back. Just saying.

Please tell me it's wasn't food she was trying to return.... People like her are the reason God invented guns!

You do realize the customer can take back anything they buy (unless it's tainted food) and get a full refund even if the product isn't broken. She was right, you are a "******* idiot".

She doesn't have the original packaging you ******* idiot. As far as the op knows, it could have been stolen. Store ******* policy...

copy125, remove the broom from your butt before reading FML.

You do realize return policies can differ between stores, you "******* idiot". The terms under which you can return merchandise is usually written at check out and many times on the back of the receipt itself. If OP was following the policy then the lady was just being a stubborn twat.

flockz 19

so if you were a clerk and a customer tried to return a *****, you would give a full refund?!?!? because i wouldn't. but who knows, maybe "******* idiots" like you ram used ****** up their ass for fun.

Lmao so gross yet so true 63. If I owned a business I wouldn't accept an item without its original packaging. You never know what they could have done to the product, unless it was a purchase made a few hours ago and returned on the grounds of the product being faulty

systems7 2

What the hell is everyone's problem everyone is a customer at some point.

Dude. If she's within the return policy u should have given her the molar back!

GemmaLouise13 0

Ok 1. Money* 2. No packaging or tag or receipt = no refund 3. The return and refund policy has to be made clear for customers that are, in this case "******* idiots"