Meet the family

By OhMeGerd - 05/10/2012 14:56 - United States - Scottsdale

Today, I was invited to my boyfriend's house for dinner for the first time. His mom made a fantastic dinner, so I showed my appreciation by eating the lot. Apparently I was overdoing it because when I looked up everyone was staring. His dad muttered, "Slow the hell down." FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 478
You deserved it 29 000

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Just say it was sooo good and compliment her cooking. Win at least one of them. Lol

Hey, at least you aren't one of those food-phobic girls. My bro dated one, she was insane!

Comments

Just say it was sooo good and compliment her cooking. Win at least one of them. Lol

At least the mom will love you, but "yum! This is great!!" works too.. For future reference

TheDrifter 23

OP might have to slow down to say anything. Eating at a moderate pace and making polite conversation is generally considered polite when meeting people over a meal.

I think the dad was being pretty rude... It's pretty understandable that people are nervous the first time they're eating at their bofriend/girlfriend's place. His comment definitely didn't make anything better...

In some Spanish countries leaving a little bit of food on the plate is the polite thing to do.

I mean theres a difference between appreciating a meal and scarfing it down like an animal. It sounds like OP went a bit overboard on the enjoyment.

The only Spanish country is Spain, and we do not have that rule, more the exact opposite

My grandmother gets offended if she offers you a plate if food and deny it. Grandma likes her grands all fat and stubby!!

99-Cuba, Venezuela, Honduras, Argentina, Mexico, Ecuador, Peru, El Salvador do you want any more examples of Countries that are Spanish speaking?

110- just because the language is Spanish doesn't meant it's a "Spanish" country. The proper terms would be Latino or Hispanic countries. Also, I am el salvadorian and Uruguayan, and I've lived in both countries for several years. The customs I've grown up with is that you always eat everything that's been given to you, or else you're wasting food, which is disrespectful.

In Mexico, you speak Mexican and Cuba, you speak Cuban. Some words may be the same, but a lot of it is different. I'm Argentinean and Uruguayan and I speak Spanish.

Are you being sarcastic? Mexican and Cuban are not languages. The main language in both countries is Spanish. Now, I know that with the English language, people differentiate between British and American English, and perhaps the same is true for different dialects of Spanish - but that does not mean that people speak Mexican or Cuban, just like I do not speak American.

Why comment on the way people eat. I think THAT'S rude. I'm a fast eater too. If I don't eat fast it's like I haven't eaten at all.

111- okay, first my first comment should have said Latino/Hispanic but in my second comment I just said Spanish speaking countries which is correct. The official language for mentioned countries is Spanish.

Never heard that about Spanish/Latino countries, but might be true, though I know that if you're invited to dinner by a person With Arabic heritage and eat everything on the plate, she/he will give you more food, because eating up is a sign that you're not full. Made that mistake at my ex's grandparents.

fgwrxfiend 11

Uh 112,I'm Mexican..we speak Spanish

Spanish and Spanish-Speaking are not the same thing.

Hey, at least you aren't one of those food-phobic girls. My bro dated one, she was insane!

Eating is a good thing in a girl. As long as she doesn't over so it. No one likes dating a stick or a marshmallow. Well some people do. But most don't. Being healthy looking is a good thing.

loserboii 11

"A carrot?! O my gosh, that's too much for me, I'll take half a bottle of water."

I once knew a girl who would only eat half a stick of regular gum. (Trident)

I hate girls who won't eat in public. There was a girl I knew who would always refuse to eat her lunch in the school cafeteria. I'd be like "Bitch please, eat that food before I do it for ya."

Zoh_Aubrey 8

My mom used to pile food on guests' plate shouting happily "Eat, baby, eat! You break bread with love, sweetheart." And refusing is just disrespectful.

OhDearBetrayal 25

I'm one of those girls who doesn't like to eat in front of or around people. It's not something that I'm proud of, but it's a like a disorder that I can't make go away.

I enjoy when people watch me eat, makes me feel special.

3!! You aren't thread-jacking anymore!!! :D

skyttlz 32

I have an anxiety disorder so I sometimes get nauseas eating in a crowd

I eat like a ****** pig. Everyone I know calls me a fatass even though I'm skinny. I'm not ashamed to say I love my food

You shouldn't eat like a pig. Manners do exist. I eat a lot but I do it with some class.

Lol. She was insane bc she was starving to death!

107- Back atcha! I simply can't bring myself to eat in front of other people, except my family and a few close friends. Sometimes I have panic attacks.

That sucks OP. Why not try to be normal next time? Being yourself is usually the best way to make a good impression.

You can't tell people to "be normal" and "be themselves" at the same time, not everyone is normal :P and I don't know why anyone would want to be, that's no fun! Oh if you meant "be normal" as in the op's normal self I guess that's alright.. But I'm pretty sure that is how the op normally is anyway :o

johnnyrogers97 9

Someone please tell me What is a "Normal" Person? Huh? Whats human and what isn't? Because I think normal, is just code for boring and doing the same thing as everyone else

In calling others insane, we actually make ourselves the insane. Also, aren't we all truly insane? If being sane is the normal, average mind set, then everyone is different and therefore insane.

thehoffy512 4

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
kikimonole 13

I eat fast without thinking about it. I'm always laughed at and called cute or asked if I'm hungry. I think it should be taken as a compliment if someone horks their food down. It means your food is edible!

It's also unattractive to not eat and thus become so skinny you look like a walking skeleton.

I don't think the FML said she ate fast, first of all. The father may have just been using an expression. Second, it probably just meant she dug in for seconds, which in most cultures is a compliment to the host that made the food. Just FYI.

I'm a guy and I eat fast. Not because I'm fat or something but because well always being in a hurry, or because being in a family of paramedics and them being on call all the time we always just ate fast cause you never know when you could get a call. Or I'm just really hungry...

agonydrum 7

I'm guessing that because everyone was staring at her he was probably eating like a starved wolf, which is unattractive no matter how you spin it, it's also a great way to get fat and not be able to taste your food

mizuki123 8

I eat really slow and not much at a time and can't help it. Everyone makes fun of me for it. I don't look like a skeleton either.

So is taking shirtless self pictures....

agonydrum 7

Hey if you got it flaunt it what's the point of having a nice body if you don't let anyone see it?

It's also bad for you metabolism to eat fast.

Collarbones that look like that aren't necessarily a sign of a good body. Hahaha.

agonydrum 7

Oh lol sorry 98 I thought you meant in general, yeah in this case I would agree it looks kind of creepy

When the father said "Slow the hell down" in my mind it appeared as if she was gulping down the food in order to show her appreciation. When I am at home I eat fast (like a glutton, i admit), but not when I'm trying to make a good first impression. Just eat your food regularly and tell her that you like it! Plain, simple, and you don't look crazy!

How does eating slot show appreciation? I thought that was what Thank You was for?

*i meant eating so much.* sorry guys don't even know how it turn into slot?

RedPillSucks 31

Or Freudian slip from "****"?

30 got it right. 39 why would I call op a ****? Sorry no Freudian slip... This time.

18- your comment goes with your picture.

rotflqtms_ 21

Yeah, my tablet predicts what I'm about to type based on what I typed after the word the last time... It gets SO annoying that I turn it off sometimes.

Your avatar actually suits the second comment.

lacespace 8

It shows gluttony and greedy fatness to consume the food fastest... So yes.

gallopinghorses 3

How does eating fast and a lot show your appreciation? Please... Explain this theory.

kikimonole 13

It means the food is edible if not delicious! Or the person was extremely hungry. Eating fast is dangerous but extremely adorable.

gallopinghorses 3

Yes, eating fast is dangerous but adorable.. Not really

agonydrum 7

Pretty much the opposite of adorable, unless its a baby or something

There is nothing adorable about eating fast.

"So what are your hobbies"? NOM NOM, I like singing, NOM NOM, and dancing, NOM NOM NOM.

kikimonole 13

I always thought eating fast means that the food is really good. Or at least edible. I always eat too fast and give myself a tummy ache. But if I didn't like the food I can't eat it.

Chixken 6

Guess what.......I don't give a ****.

agonydrum 7

We can tell you eat too fast just by your profile picture

jarockstar27 10

You had to share that....why?

You have shared that same theory 3 times already, we get it!