Meat is murder

By lanbon182 - 10/04/2009 05:11 - United States

Today, my fiancé's parents visited. I keep chickens for their eggs, and his parents own a farm, so we had a connection. They told us to leave the house while they cooked us dinner. When we returned, we faced two steaming plates of chicken. My chickens. They had names. FML
I agree, your life sucks 251 769
You deserved it 31 278

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Awwwwww, that's so sad!!! Like they served you the family dog... So, did you tell them, or did you try to 'man up'?

That sucks bad! I would have burst out crying right in front of their eyes... I can't believe people are clicking YDI =/

Comments

That's horrible! The parents were probably just doing what they thought was best, and they probably didn't know the purpose of the chickens. You should've mentioned to them, even subtly, "Oh, my pet chickens are out back - etc etc." Or, you should've said a farewell such as "Bye ________ and _________, mommy'll be home soon!" Or something :S. I don't know. And your fiance not mentioning that you're a vegetarian to your parents, if the knowledge of them cooking dinner for you, is kind of ******. You should've told them anyhow. On the whole, this was a very depressing FML on my part. >

To #92: 1. Yeah, 76% of Earth's surface is water. Too bad only ~3% of that is actually drinkable, and most of that is frozen in the ice caps. 2. That's an opinion, not a fact. Most people learn the difference between the two in the second grade.

ellebell 0

omg thats horrible....i will continue to be haunted by that story for the rest of the day

well did you tell them earlier that the chickens were pets? if you didnt and they were from a farm then naturally theyre going to assume that you were raising chicks for meat and they probably thought they were doing something really nice

swerrwer 0

This is really sad! I dont really know the particulars about butchering and cooking a chicken because i've been a vegetarian for 10 years now but if this is true I really feel bad! I have a pet rabbit and people always joke about cooking her as well. Just so you know when I did eat meat I thought it was delicious and I really don't have a problem with what other people choose to eat as long as they don't give me shit for being a vegetarian. Just a few things 1. Chicken eggs are unfertilized unless you have a rooster so no, its not against a vegetarians principles or diet because they would never have hatched anyways. Its gross but if you think of female humans having eggs we lose them with our period each month and they would not turn into babies without sperm its kind of the same thing. 2. There have been studies that show that eating meat, especially large amounts everyday is unhealthy and puts you at more of a risk dying from almost any disease especially for women and heart disease. Meat eaters can be healthy and so can vegetarians but its all about getting balanced nutrition. If you are one of those people who eats a meal or two at a fast food restaurant per day... aren't you a little curious where that meat came from and what kind of chemicals they pumped in it so it would look and taste exactly the same as every other burger king, mcdonalds, taco bell ect??? 3. We're at the top of the food chain for many reasons not just because we prey on animals, there are a lot of mammals out there that put us to shame when it comes to hunting. What puts us at the top is that we have the ingenuity to produce our own food and trade/sell it with others.

uhhh its not a chicken fetus if it hasnt been fertalized you idiots. those eggs were never going to hatch into chickens. notice there wasnt a rooster in the story. you have to have a rooster for baby chickens.

Aw man, I'm so sorry to hear that. That must have been awful!

Yes, some vegetarians eat eggs and milk. As long as the egg isn't fertilized it's not considered to be killing an animal. The fiance's parents are... well that's just rude. Even if you did eat meat, the fact they killed an animal on your property without asking you if you were going to eat it is ... just no manners. I mean hell... do you go to a farmer's house an kill all his steer just to make a dinner? No. You use the food that's already in the pantry.

I'm dubious. Any farmer should have sense not to kill another farmer's animals without express permission. If they don't, that's one reason most of us that raise anything have shotguns.