By chefdujour - 15/03/2009 04:56 - United States

Today, I spent 5 hours preparing dinner for my fianc''s grandparents, whom I've never met. At dinner, his grandmother says to him, "If you're going to pick someone to spend the rest of your life with, at least make sure she can cook." I'm the executive chef at a 4 star restaurant. FML
I agree, your life sucks 98 054
You deserved it 5 727

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Further proof that some grandparents/parents will be negative - no matter what.

And? Maybe they just have bad taste in food, or you honestly messed up. If you know you're good, it's not a big deal, really.

Comments

And? Maybe they just have bad taste in food, or you honestly messed up. If you know you're good, it's not a big deal, really.

#82 "five star" restaurants don't exist. four stars is the most that industry-respected guides give. if Op was referring to the Michelin guide's four stars that's the best you can be. period.

Further proof that some grandparents/parents will be negative - no matter what.

TheDrifter 23

My grandmother said exactly that to me about my wife's cooking many years ago, she meant it as a compliment, but english is not her first language. Could it have just been poor phrasing of an endorsement of you as wife material op?

Why didn't you make a sarcastic point of it then.....

exactly, like "that's why he's not staying with family!

TurtleGenius 0

Hey, as long as he thinks your cooking's good, it's alright. Otherwise, you know where he gets the bad taste in food genes from..

If you made it that far in your career, you've got to be good. Either the grandparents just wanted to be negative, or you cooked something that was not their taste

haha they probably just had bad taste. my grandpa complains about everything. took him to a nice restaurant once and he said they street store below his house makes better fish (I'm from Asia so.), dw about it. old people.

I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes grandparents have awful taste. My grandmother, for example, though everything needed salt. She once said her salad was "too fresh."

Maybe they're just assholes who think that no one will ever be good enough for their grandson.

One of the first things to go is your sense of taste. Don't take it personally.