Unlucky

By Tim - 09/04/2009 21:44 - United States

Today, my mom had a baby shower. When it was over, I walked around cleaning up the trash. I saw a card sitting on the table, along with a note to my mom saying, "Better luck with this one." At the moment I'm an only child, and the card was from my grandmother. FML
I agree, your life sucks 75 684
You deserved it 4 246

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Perhaps she has had troubles having children between you and this one, and has just been to upset to talk about it to anyone but her mother.

TurtleGenius 0

Or maybe it was just entirely irrelevant, and you're thinking too hard. Or possibly your mother had trouble with your childbirth (a lot of pain, complications, whatever), and your grandma's wishing her luck with not having that happen again.

Comments

erisfreenici 0

why is your mom having a baby shower for the second kid -- isn't that greedy? one kid yes, two?

Maybe it's because there is a bigger age difference. Also, every child deserves the celebration of their life (even if they do it before the baby is born) I threw my sister one for her 4th child (her husband's first) and his family appreciated it because with his mom it was her first grandchild. She loved that she got to go to a baby shower for her first grandchild. It IS tacky to say gifts need to be given but if the guests choose to I find it different. Also, my sister had gotten rid of her previous babys' clothes and everything (he was five) and it really helped out. She is now pregnant with her fifth baby and if it's a girl (she has 4 boys) I will throw another one and if it's another boy I will likely just do a small one just to celebrate another baby.

knowitall 1

I would ask her. Maybe she did have birth complications or a history of miscarriage that she didn't share with you when you were younger. Or maybe your grandma is just a toxic and thoughtless woman. If you know the latter to be true- ignore it. #54- it's not uncommon to have a baby shower after such a long time between children. The OP is probably at least in their teens, it is not a stretch to think that they might not have any of the original things anymore. Even if they did- a lot of older baby items would have deteriorated, expired or be completely useless. Think carseats- they expire after just 6 years due to deterioration of materials. It makes sense.

Or possibly another gender. My sister has 4 boys right now (her youngest is 9 months old) and she is pregnant with a surprise 5th baby (wasn't planned at all especially since what she thought was her last baby isn't even a year old yet) and if this baby is a girl I fully intend to throw a shower for her since it would be her first girl haha. If the baby is another boy, I have been thinking of having a small get together to celebrate having another baby in the family. It will not be focussed on gifts (guests can bring if they want to but it won't be expected)

Maybe you should have been a better child. What was with all the crying you did between the ages of 0 - 3 anyways?

It might not be as mean as it sounds. I would call grandma on it and see what she has to say.

Did she have complications during childbirth with you? Did you consider that maybe it's not because of who you are, but how you came about? Why don't you ask your grandma about it?

I was going to say the same thing #3 did, maybe she had a difficult labour before, maybe she even lost a baby or something and never told you =/ there are a lot of explanations, some of which don't even concern you. If you are worried maybe you should ask your mum or grandmother about it.

Yeah seems more logical if your mother has had prior problems. Also your adopted.

awe that's sad, it could mean just about anything though, maybe it was a hard child birth or something? idk, i wouldn't take it to personal. ask her what she meant by it, see what her reaction is.

She may have meant: better luck with this birth. Maybe your birth was a difficult one.

Now, hang on. What was the gift that went with the card? Maybe it was something that didn't work when you were growing up, and she got her a new one for this kid. Something stupid like disposible diapers. Maybe she tried it with you and it didn't work, so her mom is like "Better luck with this one." Or some other baby item. She might not have been talking about the child itself, but probably whatever gift came with it.