By Cheyennereed - 17/02/2013 15:50 - United States - Shaw A F B

Today, while on my way to the movies, I stopped at a gas station to pick up candy so I could avoid the high prices at the movies. The guy who tore my ticket asked for my purse, confiscated my candy, and then kicked me out of the movie theater. That guy was my boyfriend. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 678
You deserved it 9 036

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wow what an ass. Maybe he was angry because you were going to the movies without him?

wlddog 14

Some rules are just meant to be broken.

Comments

Now get your candy back and go to another theater!

They can't confiscate your candy if they kick you out as well!

That's the price you pay for going to movie without him. Lol. Sorry op!!

nothing92x 13

They should write a movie about what happened to OP.

I understand that's his job, but seriously???

Hiimhaileypotter 52

That's not his job, though. Unless it's different than the movie theater I work at; we can't just willy-nilly search people's bags and purses.

beej821410 6

The key word here being "was" your boyfriend

is he even allowed to confiscate your purse?

fylx100 19

No Erin, you read it wrong. They actually confiscated the candy that was inside the purse. He did ask for her purse and searched inside it. Which I don't think they can do that, if that's what you're asking :)

What? Here in Italy we can bring our own food and drinks to the movies. The tought of security searching my purse for candy is quite disturbing to me.

Business and company owners in the US are stingy as ****. Though this is overstepping legal boundaries even then.

Shadow_Phantom 26

The US is pretty ****** up. We live in a sort of police state, even though most people don't realize it.

jem970 19

The reason why the theaters frown on bringing your own food is because the ticket sales only go to the movie companies to pay for allowing the films to be in the theaters. The food and drinks the theaters sell are the main profit supply so they dont allow people to BYOF and drinks because they are losing profit. The boyfriend really over stepped the line by searching OP though...

Because everyone knows that multi billion dollar film industries need the extra two dollar inflation to make the CEO's bank book a little bigger, to continue to pay minimum wage to the people doing the upsell of said overpriced carbonated sugar water.

Hey there,I thought i was the only italuan on FML! Good to know i'm in good company!

We can bring our own in Denmark too :3

Yeah, that's good in Italy, but in America, everyone is lawsuit happy. I don't know if that's the case in Italy, but like a past commenter said, if someone brings their own food from another restaurant and gets food poisoning, they'll be able to sue the theater company over something they're not responsible for.

Legally, you're allowed to refuse a bag search if you want to. Granted, they CAN refuse you entrance for failure to comply with a bag search, but they have no inherent right to search beyond that. And they are not allowed to confiscate anything from you unless it is seen as a physical threat, so your boyfriend was not only being a douche, but he was legally in the wrong. Also, the bag must be large enough to warrant a search. A purse or wallet is not allowed to be searched under any circumstance.

It's a movie theater, they don't have any legal right to search any bag whatsoever. They can deny her entrance if they want to, but they have no right to search anything regardless of size.

Yes! Exactly, I was going to say this too. Mind you a few theaters have cops on duty and they can call on one of them if they see something "suspicious", but having treats in your bag does not warrant that.

actually they do if you pay attention to there signs of no bags or backpacks most movie theaters on private property so they have the rights to search a bag most of them won't ever search a purse but they can search backs but mostly only to take a look inside I know cause I use to work at one

#160: They can ASK to search bags, but you don't have to agree with it. At that point, there's nothing they can do about it besides letting you in or escorting you out. They can put up as many signs as they want about bag searches, but that doesn't mean they're legally allowed to do them if the customer/patron refuses.

Glad I live in the US. Our theater attendants don't have the right to search personal property.

This FML post was written from the United States.

This FML did happen in the US. And since cinema's are private property, they ARE allowed to ask for a bag search and even kick a person out if they fail to comply. However you're allowed to refuse a bag search if you want.

What about it being private property gives them the right to compel a search without a warrant? They can deny entrance if they suspect the person is bringing in contraband, but they certainly can't force a patron to submit to a violation of their privacy just to watch a movie.

TheDrifter 23

No, but they can refuse entrance if you don't comply. I don't know about US food and health rules, but in Canada it is actually against health code to bring outside food into a food serving establishment. They can't confiscate it, but they are legally required to have you remove it from the premises. Whether they let you back in after your violation is another matter. Cheap people still sneak food into theaters (and restaurants for that matter).

MaydayParadexx 18

27, they cannot require a search. Just because it's "private" doesn't mean the amendments of the United States aren't intact. Under your theory, they could deny access because of ethnicity too.

CharresBarkrey 15

157 - That makes no sense. Denying someone entrance for refusing to comply with a business's rules is NOT the same as denying someone because of their race or religion.

#157: Because cinemas are generally private property, they are allowed (to an extent) to make up their own rules. And are allowed to kick a person out if they don't comply with the rules. (Hell, my local cinema used to kick out people who didn't wear shoes, because they had a lot of trouble with people not wearing shoes to the cinema and stinking the place out.) I don't know how you think bag searches are anything like racial/religious discrimination though. One is something that can be helped (you either let them check you bag, or get kicked out), the other is something that a person can't help (a person can't erase their race or religious beliefs).