By A. - 14/10/2010 07:15 - United States

Today, out of all the cars in the parking lot, mine got struck by lightning. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 339
You deserved it 3 592

Same thing different taste

Top comments

JayBear14 11

i thought cars didnt get struck by lightning because of the rubber on the tires? It's a genuine question, sorry if i sound stupid.

Comments

nothing happens when a car gets struck by lightning

That's not even close to true. There will be burn marks, holes in the metal, and metal spatter at the entry and exit points. Welded metal near those points can separate. Metal components that aren't bonded to each other will have arcing. If the lightning travels along wiring, it'll be burnt and there will be arcing on the body along the length of the wire. Ferrous components will often become strongly magnetized depending on where they were along the path of the lightning. Greased assemblies such as wheel bearings can arc-weld solid. Electrical and electronic components will either completely stop working, or be intermittent and erratic. Wheels and tire ply wires can be damaged. A lot of this damage will be hidden at first, and only become evident as weakened components fail. In short, if you have a modern, electronically controlled car that is struck by lightning, it can be uneconomical to repair. This of course won't stop your insurance company only paying out to fix the scorch marks if they think they can get away with it.

well, correct me if im wrong, but its impossible for a car to get struck b lightning since rubber is an insulator and is the only direct path to the ground so lightning would find its path directly to the ground through a tree or the ground itself

The tires do not prevent the lightning from hitting the car. Lighting shooting through the air, while looking for ground, is not going to change direction just because there is rubber hidden underneath all that metal. What will happen when lightning, or a power line, hits a car is that all the metal in the vehicle will remain electrified until the electricity finds a way to ground. The tires actually keep the electricity in the car by being the only part touching the ground, but not being conductive. The reason that people are always told in school that the safest outdoor place to be in a lightning storm is inside of a car is that the car will trap the electricity, and as long as you avoid touching any of the metal in the car, or getting out of the car before helps arrives to ground the vehicle, you’ve prevented yourself from becoming part of the circuit.

loveurlifeJK 5

Unless your car didn't have it's tires on, nothing happened. We've ALL been taught this.

that's why when I get struck by lightning I jump. Winner!

You've ALL been taught wrong. You're relatively safe inside a normal car when it's struck by lightning because the car's structure acts as a Faraday cage and the lightning passes through the metal, not through you. As an insulator, rubber is roughly on the same scale as the air that the lightning just passed through. Half an inch of rubber that has hundreds of metal wires running through it is no barrier whatsoever to a lightning bolt strong enough to pass through thirty thousand feet of air.

that's bullshit op it is physically Impossible for lightning to hit a car but it could hit under the car.... the reason is impossible is because of the rubber in the tires

yummycupcakegirl 0

Rubber tyres ...you can't get struck....What a douche...

Brighton_Goose 0

"Rubber tires provide zero safety from lightning. After all, lightning has traveled for miles through the sky: four or five inches of rubber is no insulation whatsoever."