By Anonymous - 25/05/2012 01:37 - United States - Lawrence

Today, my teenage daughter asked me if accents are hereditary. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 711
You deserved it 4 230

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Dumb girl, they're sexually transmitted

I hope stupidity isn't. Or your unborn grand-babies are screwed.

Comments

Yes, and so are the length of your hair and fingernails.

Or the phrase "Hello Governor!" but thats more british I guess.

mega00ant 0

At least she asked you, and didn't just assume they were, which means that she didn't know and hadn't actually believed it, not fully at least. There is hope for her yet! Good luck!

Good luck to her Future, unborn children.

notice OP said 'teenage'. they didn't specify the age..could have been 13..or 19.. being a 13 year old, this question wouldn't have been as stupid.. so maybe ya'll shouldn't judge.

CaramelMacchiato 13

I'm fourteen, and I learned about genes and hereditary last year in seventh grade. I think it's required for everyone to learn about that in seventh grade.

Fair point although the question is always the same level of stupid; we just have a higher stupidity tolerance for younger children. For instance, I like to check the age of commenters who have posted really inane or troll-worthy responses and remind myself that chances are fair he/she will grow out of it.

Or "Please, sir, may I 'ave some 'ore?"

ferrousWheel 6

You have my sympathy. This isn't really something that you take your children aside to explain, after all. "Son/daughter, it's very important that you know: accents are learned, not inherited." (Makes me wonder what they teach in American Biology classes these days...)

At my school, we used Spongebob to learn about genetics, and cartoons for cells. We're 7th graders! We also watch Mythbusters!

CaramelMacchiato 13

^ That's how they taught me last year, too.

Biology? Science? In Kansas? Good one. In Kansas, they don't have any use for that thar book written by satan and full of his lies! The good book of Genesis is all the earth science and biology that you need!

MerrikBarbarian 9

Well at least she's asking instead of being insistent they are for sure. Maybe there is hope yet... Just educate the hell out of her!

She probably also thinks babies that are still in the womb can get pregnant. Seriously, find a way to practice a foreign accent (the choice of country is yours), and explain it all to her in that tongue. I have hope. |the kid|