By Mom - 25/07/2009 21:14 - United States

Today, my son decided to come out of the closet by wearing a shirt that said "Mom, I'm gay" to the family reunion. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 875
You deserved it 26 212

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Tea_bag_fml 0

I want to high five your son.

So not an FML, just accept your son for who he is, and kudos to him for being brave enough to come out to the entire family!

Comments

leMeepO_o 0

I said YDI, not because anything particularly bad happened, but because you thought of this as an FML. It's great that your kid is comfortable enough with himself to wear a shirt that announces his sexuality, but it's sad that he didn't feel like he could tell you one on one. Probably he thought you would react badly or be angry or disappointed, so he thought he might as well get it all over with at once, knowing there would be less of a chance for a scene.

Today, I came out to my entire family. My mom posted it on FML. FML

Sweetheart, I'm so sorry. Hearing something shocking (about something that, in the past, has been taboo) is difficult to say the least. Maybe if you had told them privately, after they had time to accept it, they would have come out with you. I think it's unfair to just expect people to be ok with it right away. Change takes time, and you should have afforded your parents that time. If my child did that I would feel bad that they didn't think I loved them enough to hear what is truly in their heart. No, I probably wouldn't be thrilled, but you know what, you deal with it and move on. But you ALWAYS love your children. You didn't give your parents the time to deal with it, so maybe writing about is how your mom is dealing with it. It isn't something I would want for my son, but that's me projecting. But it wouldn't change how I felt about him. I have many gay friends. I love them no differently than my straight friends. What I'm saying is give them time, and I'm sending you a hug. For those of you who want to jump my ass about this post: ALL ABOARD!! (I just installed handrails!!)

Congrats! Be happy that he's feels comfortable enough to say it out loud to you.... and everyone else as well.

If the son had wanted his parents to be caring and supportive, then he should have considered their feelings, and discussed his sexuality privately and respectfully. The son decided to share some big, emotional information publicly, without any consideration of his parents' thoughts and feelings. The mom did the EXACT SAME THING by posting an FML about her son's actions. Nothing more, nothing less. As a few rational people have said before, it's almost impossible for the mother not to feel some surprise or disappointment when her son reveals that his sexuality is different than the family had assumed. This does not mean that she is a flaming, unsupportive homophobe who believes that homosexuals shall burn in the fires of hell. It sickens me how all the "anti-homophobes" are a lot less tolerant than most "homophobes". The mother did not say that her life is screwed because her son is gay. While she may be a little disappointed, the FML is clearly in the way that he came out of the closet. It's truly sad how irrational a group of people can be when a touchy issue like homosexuality is brought up on the internet. Please read the FML, consider the OP's point of view, and think before posting hateful things that have nothing to do with the spirit of the FML.

jahwn 12

Be glad, your son is proud of who he is and has the guts to tell everyone. Plus, it's way easier just to tell everyone at once.

I don't see the FML. That is definitely a creative way to come out though.

What's wrong with that. You should celebrate by bringing him out to dinner!

You clearly didn't make him comfortable enough for him to tell you this alone, so he decided this was a better way to do it. YDI, and F your son's life.