By Mom - 25/07/2009 21:14 - United States

Today, my son decided to come out of the closet by wearing a shirt that said "Mom, I'm gay" to the family reunion. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 875
You deserved it 26 212

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Tea_bag_fml 0

I want to high five your son.

So not an FML, just accept your son for who he is, and kudos to him for being brave enough to come out to the entire family!

Comments

letitbe56 0

This is not an FYL. Depending on how you responded, it might be an Fyour son'sL. Coming out shouldn't have to feel like delivering bad news. Anyone who thinks that it should needs to rethink their values. The son wanted his family to know he was gay, and he found a humorous way of telling them. Yeah, maybe he could have told his nuclear family first, but I don't blame him for not doing that because it doesn't sound like he has a very open-minded mom. Good for him for coming out, seriously.

The fact that you are/were embarrassed by this means you would have preferred people not to know, which means you have some kind of problem with it, or maybe even some homophobia going on; I don't know to what degree, but it was obviously enough that he knew he couldn't come out to you comfortably, assured of your acceptance, and with total faith that you would be cool with it - also, if he felt he couldn't come out to you any other way, then really, that's more telling of you than it is him. Furthermore, if it really was so hard to come out to *you*, then I don't blame him for doing it at the family reunion, and getting the whole lot over with right then and there in one shot. I have no doubt that this was his way of not only coming out, but his way of slightly punishing you for the fact that you are obviously not okay with it. It's an obvious act of defiance, in that he would know you would try to keep it hidden if he came out to you alone, which I am sure would spark fury in any gentleman of that persuasion. However, if you are SO uncomfortable with it that this is a true FML for you and not just a funny one, then you totally deserve it.

letitbe56 0

I agree wholeheartedly. In an accepting family, the t-shirt would have been considered funny, not rude or embarrassing. I think it's really sad that this mom is so blind as to who her son is...and that he never felt he could let her in on this part of himself.

Wow.. fyl? go **** yourself, if you think your son being gay is so bad then you don't deserve to have a ******* kid

Nobody WANTS their son to be gay. Being a little bit disappointed doesn't make you a homophobe. Also, the only reason the kid came out at the reunion is because he wants a public place so that his parents won't make a big scene. Especially in front of people they know. If not, and the son just wanted to be dramatic, this confirms all the stereotypes I have of gay people.

letitbe56 0

Being surprised doesn't make you a homophobe. Being disappointed does. And, if his parents were going to make a big scene, that's not an expression of "a little" disappointment.

I would like my first born to be gay/bisexual/lesbian. It means that he or she would have once less thing to be close minded to. I would have absolutely NO problem if all the kids I ever have are all gay. What's the big deal? They'll have boyfriends or girlfriends. Why should a parent care which?

Actually you'd have much better luck with a 3rd or 4th born son being gay (or at least bisexual). There's a scientific reason for this. A woman's antibodies try to attack a male fetus, seeing it as a foreign object, during pregnancy. Each male after that has more feminine characteristics, as it has become better adapting. So, the percentage of chance that the son will be gay increases with each son you have.

brrrx 0

A woman's antibodies do not attack a FETUS. That's stupid and impossible - everything in the woman's body goes toward nurturing and PROTECTING the fetus. Second, I doubt a woman possesses antibodies against male SPERM (as you were trying to say I suspect), because an antibody is specific to one molecule and one substance and one substance only. The problem is that the ****** is highly acidic, and there are general macrophages which attack the sperm as foreign substances. A fetus is not a foreign object, it's half of the maternal DNA packaged in protective cells that is implanted in the uterine lining. Second, there is no way, that is true, because the DNA inside a sperm cell are well-protected inside a protein capsid - if not, the cell would be lysed and the DNA would leak out into the extracellular fluid and the sperm would never fertilize the egg. The only adaptive mechanisms a sperm can have is a stronger flagellum (the tail that propels it), and better metabolism of sugar for energy. Feminine DNA has no impact. Third, what's to say that, if what you said was actually true, that feminine characteristics as an adaptive mechanism equate to homosexuality?

#60 I was totally with you until that last sentence.. smh

I read in a scientific medical journal that the reason for the higher percent chance of the male being homosexual is somewhere along those lines. As for the female characteristics I meant chiefly the brain, as most females are attracted to males so a male with more female characteristics would most likely be attracted to his own sex.

Also, what do you mean that the fetuses (feti?) would be adapting???? they are DIFFERENT beings that aren't direct descendants. they can't evolve...that's not the way it works...

I would like to add a little clarification here. The woman's body WILL reject the fetus if it weren't for the placenta and the mother's blood never entering the fetus. The fetus is a parasite. Y'all just sound like a bunch of ******* idiots who tried to look shit up on the internet and failed. STFU and go learn something.

AngryC4t 0

SUCCESSFUL TROLL IS SUCCESSFUL. OP'S SON PWN3D YOU ALL HARD!! SUCCESSFUL TROLL IS SUCCESSFUL. OP'S SON PWN3D YOU ALL HARD!! SUCCESSFUL TROLL IS SUCCESSFUL. OP'S SON PWN3D YOU ALL HARD!! SUCCESSFUL TROLL IS SUCCESSFUL. OP'S SON PWN3D YOU ALL HARD!! SUCCESSFUL TROLL IS SUCCESSFUL. OP'S SON PWN3D YOU ALL HARD!! SUCCESSFUL TROLL IS SUCCESSFUL. OP'S SON PWN3D YOU ALL HARD!!

@108: Yes, a female's body does attack a fetus. Not only that, but the ****** is acidic and is responsible for killing most of the sperm. Thanks to proving to everyone you never took 10th grade science.

Ok...so? I fail to see the FML here.

Maybe if you had a closer relationship with your son then he could have had the courage to sit down and tell you face to face. For all we know this is just his personality to telll you something really important in an entertaining way. A lot of guys are comfortable discusiing there feelings so this t-shirt idea could have seemed brilliant to him. I'm sure he would love to know that you are fml ing his clever idea and that he is glad that you are supporting the fact that your gay. I agree wearing the shirt to a family reunion is a tad inappropriate, but it saves you from having to hide it from the rest of the family because your to embaressed of it. I fail to see the FML. You should support your son not be embaressed of him.

And why shouldn't he tell them all? Like people said with the other good news on T-shirts, if it had said "Mom, I got into Yale" or something else she considered positive, people (homophobes included) would think that's awesome. If you can stand there and say "I don't mind that he's gay but I don't want anyone else to know", you're still homophobic. Those kinds of people are sometimes worse that normal homophobes because they feel that they are good, open minded people while being awful. People don't hide being straight in public and their families, and shouldn't have to hide being gay.

mozrox 0

That's pretty funny... Your son has an excellent sense of humor.