By sotired - 05/03/2013 19:58 - Australia - Mona Vale

Today, my neighbour's puppy has developed separation anxiety. Every time my neighbour leaves for work, the puppy constantly whines and barks until he gets home. He works night shifts. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 251
You deserved it 2 413

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe you could dog-sit that poor puppy nights? That way you could pet it until it fell asleep. You'll get to sleep and the puppy won't be so lonely :)

Comments

buy a bigger dog an have your dig eat the other one. jk I love dogs

dnvrdty 6
SApprentice 34

That does happen to some dogs, but it's really common with puppies who have been taken away from their mothers too soon. People think that it's okay to just take a puppy or kitten at six weeks, but then they develop a lot of behavioral issues because of it. They're supposed to stay with the parent animal for twelve weeks or so, and no reputable breeder will let them go before eight. It takes a few weeks for them to pick up on positive dog behaviors from their mothers and to mature mentally. People see the cute six week old puppy and go, "Aw, it's so cute, don't worry, I'll be its mommy," and then when the dog grows up with anxiety problems they look for every cause except themselves. But, eh, that might not be the case here. Talk to your neighbor, let them know your concerns. You deserve to be able to sleep. There are some crating techniques that can help with doggy anxiety, and they should be leaving some soft background noise on for him when they leave. The pup shouldn't just be left to its own devices all night.

what if you own both the mother and her kin?

SApprentice 34

36- Then of course that doesn't apply, because the puppy will still be with the mother. I'm talking about the practice of shitty breeders selling the litters off right at the six week mark, and the equally bad buyers who don't do any research into what makes a healthy, well rounded puppy before buying one. Just because a six week old puppy is cute doesn't mean that you should buy it, not when there are legitimate, knowledgeable breeders out there who are breeding for the highest quality dog possible, which requires a slightly extended stay with the mother. If a puppy or kitten is abandoned, of course do everything you can for it. If a mother rejects its offspring, then take it and raise it by hand. My problem is not with that, but with the practice of separating the mother and offspring before the offspring is ready, instead of waiting a few extra weeks for the time that is most beneficial to the young.

My first husky I got at 7 weeks and 6 days. It was suppose to be longer, but a hurricane evacuation pushed up the move date and the seller was making an exception to get the puppies out if the storm path. Her playmate we got from the pound not knowing his age. After a bit, the vet guessed he was about 5 or 6 weeks. The litter was left in a box in the parking lot to die. He had separation anxiety issues. Either a person or the other dog had to be home with him. I don't think in the 14+ years we had him he ever spent a moment alone. Fortunately the husky stepped in as sort of a surrogate mother when we brought him home, but it never did make a difference for his skittishness and anxiety issues.

Why the hell did your neighbour get a dog when they work nights? Dogs are not nocturnal! It's the puppy I feel sorry for, all you have to do is man up and go talk to your neighbour, whereas the puppy is stuck with an asleep owner during the day, and an absent one at night!

Poor puppy, being left alone for so long! My aunt's dog suffered from the same thing, as she and her husband worked and my cousins went to school. They got her a companion and it seems to work fine, the two kept each other company until someone comes home. From what it looks like, they don't even mind being left alone for long periods of time now. I know how hard it is, though. My family dog has separation anxiety as well, except it is a more silent suffering. When my mom or dad leave the house, she will ignore me completely and sit on the stairs or couch facing the front door until they come home. I'm not sure how to fix it, although it seems that distracting her for a while does her very good instead of letting her wallow in her loneliness.

How about asking the neighbor if you could keep the puppy company and look after it at night.

It passes. Puppy's make loads of noise when separated from their "pack". A few days to a couple weeks time, and the puppy will instead be destructive and pooping everywhere. That's what our two Miniature Dachshunds did anyway.

Get snoop dogg to keep it company but on a serious note some people have no business owning pets

BlackBlazeCobra 16

My old neighbor's dog did that. We lived above them.