Paper back writer

By Kim - 10/04/2009 07:12 - United States

Today, I got back a paper after a peer review. I had worked really hard on it over the last week and was proud of the end result. When I got the paper back, the only positive comment on the paper was, "Well, I really like the blue staple you used to hold it together." FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 886
You deserved it 5 250

Same thing different taste

Top comments

may_cause_fail 0

Colored staples are awesome. However, as long as whoever it was left constructive criticism, then you really have nothing to complain about. It can be hard to see something that you spent a lot of time on be unpopular, there are worse things. Not really an FML.

When I peer edit papers, I only pay attention to the things that are wrong. The purpose is to find places to make improvements. It isn't the editor's job to point out things you did well; that takes more of his or her time.

Comments

may_cause_fail 0

Colored staples are awesome. However, as long as whoever it was left constructive criticism, then you really have nothing to complain about. It can be hard to see something that you spent a lot of time on be unpopular, there are worse things. Not really an FML.

I agree this is nowhere near an FML. The bar for FMLs just lower when this was accepted.

Well first of all, if OP had received constructive criticism, I doubt this FML would've been posted. Praising the colour of the staple used to hold everything together is obviously not constructive. OP deserved to at least know what she did wrong, since so much time was spent on it. Secondly, if you say there are worse things than this, I'd just like to say that you don't need to trip over three banana peels, fall and break your nose to post something here right? FML is also basically about the small unfortunate events that occur in our lives.

ahhhh 2nd lol colored staples are the shiz and just because you think you may have wrote the greatest paper in the world not everyone is gonna think that

Hopefully it was because they didnt want to just write "good job", but if theyre dumb enough to write down that they like the staple, probably not. the best paper i ever (thought) i wrote got a D.. criticism sucks but its necessary to improve

When I peer edit papers, I only pay attention to the things that are wrong. The purpose is to find places to make improvements. It isn't the editor's job to point out things you did well; that takes more of his or her time.

It's important to point out things people did well so that they are aware of them and continue to do them. An actual 'editor' probably won't do this, but good reviewers -- peers, professors, whatever -- leave positive feedback and negative feedback. Keep in mind that unless you've got a PhD, 95% of your peers are going to suck at critiquing anyway.

heytherexoxo 0

Thats stupid. If someone is gunna review your paper, you would THINK they'd tell you specifically what was wrong with it. Besides just saying they liked the staple. What an idiot. Im sure your paper was fine.

geesquared 0

i hate when that happens grr

maedoc 0

meh. i never really found peer reviews helpful. but you really shouldn't let this paper be so important to you. it's just a freakin paper. fix it and get on with your life.

I never knew they had coloured staples, tha''s so wicked.