By Shadyblood - 15/08/2009 04:32 - Puerto Rico

Today, my drunk uncle threw my brand new iPhone 3GS into my pool, ruining it completely. When I asked him to pay for the 600 dollar replacement cost, he said he wasn't responsible for his drunken actions. All of my family members are on his side. FML
I agree, your life sucks 75 022
You deserved it 4 440

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Get drunk and drive his car into the lake. Problem solved, after all you can't take responsibility for your drunken actions.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I'm not sure I understand ya, what's wrong with using your cell? Isn't that why you buy it? Out or not he can do with it what he pleases, I'd let my fam poke around in it especially if it's brand new and they've never experienced using one. :B

I have a feeling the OP left their phone unattended though. I've had many of my things broken before, cell phones included, and after a while, you tend to start not letting people play with your stuff. Especially when they won't own up to it. It's just better that way.

Could be. Oh well, if neglect is the case then he deserves it. If his uncle was just checking it out or grabbed it from him then it's a serious FYL. My sibs do that shit to me all the time and it's totally annoying. Maybe the OP will comment with more details??

he doesnt really deserve it if he just left it out in front of his family members... its not like he knew his uncle was gonna throw it into the pool or anything

That is partly true, but if you know you have something expensive and precious and most of all new, instinct tells you to keep it on your person or at least in your sight at all times yeah?

or he couldve been swimming and taken it out of his pocket and left it on a table

seriously fyl. What really pissed me off is your family doesn't think a grown man isn't responsible for drunken actions so they enable him. Take him to small claims court asap get the money for your phone they'll get his ass in some rehab and then you'll be disown by your family by ratting him out, which might be a good thing.

somehand95 0

you should go to the police station , i'm serious , every person is responsible for their actions no matter what the action were and what condition the person was in :D

You don't even have to go to a police station. Sue him in small claims court for court fees + replacement cost + suffering (family grief for suing him and for him being a douchebag) Not a court in the country will accept the "not responsible for my drunken actions" BS.

OP might not want to take legal action because their family might ostracize them over it. That's what would stop me, anyway. You don't take family to court over something like this. Just get revenge somehow. Like get drunk and throw something expensive of his in water

Small claims ftw, and when you win, just ask your family: "So if he drove drunk he is not responsible?"

I'm not going to say YDI, but what the hell do you need a $600 phone for? Shouldn't have let your family near the phone if it cost that much, especially near a pool, but he should be man enough to own up to it. If "I was drunk" were a legal excuse think of all the behavior people would get away with. If "I'm drunk" is a legal excuse does that mean a Drunk Driver who kills someone should get off scot free? Or if they start hitting someone...I LOATHE the "I was drunk, therefore my actions are not my own" excuse. If they have that little control over their actions when inebriated...they shouldn't get inebriated. *rant over, returning soapbox to proper place* I say go to his house, act drunk and light a match like you're going to burn his house down...then ask how much "I'm drunk" is really an excuse. Everything has a price...Make him pay.

lol your username is fitting. xD It could have been a gift to him, plus people shouldn't only buy things they absolutely need, if it's his money he can make himself happy, why not? *shrug*

i have an iphone. i use it for work/buiness. i travel a lot for work and i use the gps. i also have to look stuff up online all the time and i cant carry arround a laptop with me all the time. its just not convienient. that is why i got an iphone. possible that the op got theirs for similar reasons???

The majority of iPhone users buy it to fit in with the crowd; because they think it's a status symbol. Well, I mean I guess it is a status symbol to the millions of peons who think it's an amazing phone. Then again, I mean it *is* revolutionary. I mean how money touchscreen phones are there that have the breakthrough ability of "copy/pasting" stuff? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXKqg5bqqc8

The iPhone is subsidized through the carrier. So he most likely got it cheaper then $600. But, if you break it and it is your fault, you have to pay the unsubsidized price. Most phones are subsidized. You think when you see ads for a phone for $50, it is the manufactures MSRP?

Exactly! it's your fault you got drunk, you don' thave to drink that much anyway!

I agree with the idea that "make him pay". I hate how drunks don't take responsabilities because they CHOSE to put the licor into their mouth and swallow it on their own without being forced. FYL because you have an ass of a family

So I'm guessing your family thinks that ALL drunk drivers are innocent and should not take responsibility?