By Anonymous - 01/11/2014 18:59 - United States - Deatsville

Today, my boss is still refusing to fire my psychotic coworker, who's made it his mission to insult, annoy, bully and threaten me every day into making me quit. My boss is convinced the guy just has "assburger's" and that the company would get sued if we fired him. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 990
You deserved it 3 490

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Assburgers don't sound very appetizing. I wouldn't fire one up either.

If that's a case he should have the guy medically evaluated. Or at least talk to the guy and try and make it so you don't sue him for a hostile work environment.

Comments

Octwo 16

Threats are unacceptable regardless of his potential disability. Make a record of everything he's said or did to you and present it to your boss. If he won't take action because he's afraid of being sued remind him of the legal ramifications of ignoring employee harassment.

And perhaps going to human resources along with your idea is a GREAT idea. If that doesn't work then I know if it were me I most certainly would be at the labour board.

Is it you or your boss who is spelling it like that, OP?

Well, the word is in quotation marks, and people generally don't quote themselves...

Well no - it could also be in quote marks because OP doesn't actually know what it is and just writes down what he hears. Can't tell which. Really want a follow-up from OP though, since this question is bugging me! Must be my ohseedee.

luanna_fml 7

It's Aspergers Syndrome but when pronounced like assburgers but it's a real syndrome...

giantsfan2010 23

Try to gather up some evidence and speak with your manager again about it.

Sathane 21

Tell your boss that if something isn't done immediately you'll be the one filing the law suit with the Labour Board on your side.

I'm curious as to how you know your boss is miss using the term "assburgers" as the real disorder sounds exactly the same... Is he writing it?

No, it doesn't? Assburgers and Aspergers sound different...Notice the 'b' and 'p' in the middle of each word. Someone in my class called it 'assburgers', unsure of how it's actually pronounced, and everyone went batshit crazy at them saying it was offensive. The OP said "Assburgers" on purpose because that's what their idiot boss said and they're quoting them...

24, it is very commonly pronounced with a "b" sound and can sound identical to "ass burgers" with certain accents. That's how it's said where I live, and absolutely nobody gets upset at that pronunciation. Either way, the boss doesn't know what he's talking about.

Uh, Aspergers Syndrome is a real disorder on the autism spectrum, the latest diagnostics don't use the name and simply lump it with high functioning autism, but your co-worker could well have a diagnoses of Aspergers Syndrome, which qualifies for disability in most states, so firing him simply for that condition would open the doors for lawsuits. Now, the question here is what he's doing to bully/threaten you in attempts to make you quit and if there is any way they could be mistaken for something else. If there is an autism spectrum disorder involved, and no one has specifically told him his behavior is not appropriate, he honestly might not know. Learning social habits from media without having the ability to read nonverbal cues can cause people to act like complete sociopaths and think they're just doing what is expected to fit in. Now, if there's no autism spectrum disorder and he's just a bully, go above your bosses head about it.

This. So if the coworker really has aspergers, OP should just go and talk to him, very clearly (meaning: no polite phrasing around the real problem. He won't be able to read between the lines). In my experience people with aspergers don't mind if you tell them that what they just did was an asshole move, they just might ask for an explanation because they truely don't understand why.

So that's why Sherlock calls himself a High-Functioning Sociopath, it makes so much sense! You're right, people with Aspergers have trouble knowing how to behave in social situations so it's possible he doesn't know what he's doing is wrong. He might not even know that it upsets OP because he doesn't understand non-verbal communication. It makes me wonder if OP has even told him that what he's doing upsets him. I often say and do things that aren't appropriate and get criticized for it. It's also important to be patient because it take some time for someone with Asperger's to learn what's appropriate and what's not appropriate as well as knowing how to apply it to different situations; what's appropriate in one situation with one person is inappropriate in another situation, even if it's with the same person. As you seem to understand, it can be very confusing and even frustrating at times. I've cried and even gotten angry from being yelled at because I'm not acting appropriately. If the boss genuinely thinks OP's co-worker has Aspergers then there are things he can probably still do. It's hard to tell from the FML what the situation is. It's possible that co-worker has no idea he probably has Aspergers and the boss suspects it. If that's the case, then it's a good idea for the boss to talk to the co-worker about it and explain that he should get tested. There's probably also supports and accommodations for the co-worker. It sounds like the boss doesn't want to deal the situation at all. Just because he doesn't want to fire the co-worker doesn't mean there's nothing else he can do.

As somebody who knows a lot of people on the spectrum, I can without a doubt assure OP's boss that Aspberger's does NOT lead to any sort of deliberately aggressive behaviors. If anything, Aspies are some of the most peaceful, non-violent people I know, who have problems reading social cues and responding appropriately, but are generally very sweet people. While this does not mean that it is impossible that your co-worker has Aspberger's Syndrome, he most likely has a second problem, (It is very common for people with any sort of learning disability to have more than one problem.)

Not deliberately, no, but if someone were to try to learn how to act in an office environment from tv shows as the most readily available examples, the way casual assholery and bullying is treated as normal might influence them. And if no one tells you "knock that off, it's inappropriate for the workplace" they may never understand that what they're doing to 'try to fit in' is socially unacceptable. (Note for others with autism spectrum diagnosis: 'trying to fit in' has never been worth it that I've seen)

iAmPaul 49

25 - You obviously don't know very much; you can't even spell the damn word correctly! Asperger's*. Also, the fawning pet name "Aspie" is offensive.

72 - actually "Aspie" isn't offensive its generally what people within the spectrum world refer to it as for people/themselves. My mum and brother have aspergers and happily call themselves "Aspies" as do her other "Aspie" friends. You obviously don't know very much either.

It is not offensive by any means, as a person on the spectrum and friends with others on the spectrum, this is a common and accept and self applied term.

#72 As an adult aspie I can tell you that being called an ASPIE is perfectly fine. My daughter is an aspie. In fact there is a perfectly wonderful term called "Aspian" that I love.

Just because he has "assburgers" doesn't make him special. He needs to get fired if he's bothering you.

I'm pretty sure assburger's would make him quite special. How many people do you know with it? If so, do you ever hear them ask if you'd like fries with that?

MzZombicidal 36

#26, if he DID have *Asperger's* Syndrome, then he can't be fired. OP would just have to find a middle ground where they can get along or request a move.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

Explain you'll sue if they don't.