By S. Bauer - 02/11/2011 13:50 - Portugal

Today, I yelled at my boyfriend for smoking in the house, because I didn't want the house to smell like smoke. While doing so, I knocked over a candle and lit the couch on fire. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 537
You deserved it 14 903

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Those damn couches...always getting in the way of falling candles

I'd take a burnt couch over smelling cigarettes in my house any day.

Comments

I bet a lot of hot shit happened on that couch..

Alexisthebestest 16

How is this Karma? She didn't do anything wrong.

Alwayspullout 7

Yea, I think irony is the word you were looking for.

It baffles me on how you're able to knock something over while shouting, unless your voice was superhuman-powerful.

MEM0817 18
tylersign 11

I know right!? Why the HELL did OP accidentally do that?/

Do you understand the definition of a hypocrite? If she yelled at him for smoking then she started smoking that would make her a hypocrite. What she did was a mistake

If anything, it's ironic. Even that's debatable.

I'm coming of as a real dick. I apologize for doing so. Just trying to explain it.

simplylost643 0

It's hypocritical because her complaint towards him is that he was making the house smell like smoke. By setting the couch on fire, and thereby causing the house to smell like smoke, she was doing exactly what she was yelling at her partner for. Hence she becomes a hypocrite. Logic people, use it.

Get your definitions straight, #46. Hypocrite: a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs. Is she an hypocrite for setting the couch on fire by ACCIDENT? You are making it sound like she did it on purpose, which is not the case.

Actually, #46, she's a hypocrite for yelling at him for making the house smell like smoke, WHILE SHE HAD A CANDLE LIT.

Last time I checked candles didn't make the house smell like shit. Cigarettes do.

simplylost643 0

51, No sir or mamn I have them quite straight thank you very much. Whether intentional or accidental does not change an outcome. Your own definition proves that. "especially a person whose actions Belie stated beliefs". Nowhere in that definition does it give leeway for your interpretation that because it was an accident she was not responsible. To say that you do not want your house smelling like smoke, then lighting a candle (which produces smoke), then setting the couch on fire (more smoke whether intentional or not) makes her a hypocrite. That is all.

The word you're looking for is "Irony", #70, look it up. And please, don't try to bend the definition to your favor, the rest of the definition clearly says what I was trying to say (see "PRETEND"). I'll get more definitions of the word for you. Irony: an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected. // incongruity between what is expected to be and what actually is, or a situation or result showing such incongruity // a situation is often said to be ironic if the actions taken have an effect exactly opposite from what was intended. Hypocrite is a person who PRETENDS something he/she is not, to put it in a simple, understandable way. The word hypocrisy comes from the Greek and means "Jealous", "play-acting", "acting out", "coward" or "dissembling". Check the internet if you need to. Hypocrisy: a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess. // a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude. // the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc, contrary to one's real character or actual behaviour, esp the pretense of virtue and piety // is the state of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, ideals, thoughts, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie. // a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion. // a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings. Examples: Isn't a politician hypocritical for talking about human dignity while voting against reasonable social programs? // The parent who has a “do what I say and not what I do” attitude can appear hypocritical to a child. I hope it is clear now. Damn, I just looked in Google for this, you should do that too. >>> TL;DR This situation is ironic, not "hypocritical". Get a dictionary and/or Google and learn to understand definitions.

Goodness #72 must have a lot of free time...

Ummm.. I'm pretty sure this was just a joke. Everyone needs to calm down.

Not quite, #78... that took me less than 5 minutes to write because most of it are copy+pasted definitions from internet. It's just a lot of text... and it's a fact that too much text scares people.

MEM0817 18

I was DEF just kidding.. sarcasm... It's who I am.

That was the whole point of her joke. This is FML, not a debate team, bud.

Those damn couches...always getting in the way of falling candles

I wonder if Ops candle was glade... Damn cheap stuff

I'd take a burnt couch over smelling cigarettes in my house any day.

But the burning couch would add the smell of smoke, which is what the OP didn't want.

I don't like the smell of weed smoke in my house either. Put mine in a brownie! Lol

Fag smoke and burning smoke smell different anyway, burning smoke is a lot sweeter and doesn't turn the walls yellow

yadisingh 5

Lol, 'fag smoke' In America, 90% of people wouldn't know those are cigarettes in the UK. Still, I thought we were talking about homosexuals on fire for a second. :p

I think irony is a good word to use here, then again I don't think often and causes headaches

Canadians are so dumb, blondes make jokes about them. Does that work for you?

Torva_fml 16

Well..... I bet you'll never live that down!

That's the type of things that I like doing on Saturdays. I mean breaking into people's house, yelling at them for liting candles and then smashing their hazardous fire instrument on the most valuable furniture they possess. Then again, Saturday isn't my faourite day.

FYLDeep 25

Yours was accidental. Your boyfriend was going to intentionally make your house smell like shit.