By lifsabtch - 06/01/2013 17:24

Today, I went out to meet a wonderful woman I'd chatted with online. I did have a few fears about if she was really just some guy trying to make a fool out of me. When I met her, she really was a girl, and was happy to see me. Problem: she was actually 13. I'm 34. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 423
You deserved it 8 822

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That girl is very lucky you weren't a pedophile. Shame on her for acting older than she was and meeting you, something terrible could have happened to her.

Comments

So you're two years old. Everything makes so much more sense now.

It would have been more awkward if some random guy came out of a door with a guy holding a camera and a police car parked outside with the man saying "I want you to take a seat right over there"

perdix 29

Did you tell her you were 15?

Whatever happened to "Doesnt matter had sex"? She wanted the D and she got D'nied

mind_geek 15

Your joke is bad and you should feel bad.

You are both lucky you for that she wasnt really a cop and lucky for her you arent a pedo

Even if she was a cop, OP didn't know she was 13, he assumed he was meeting someone around his age, which is perfectly legal.

Go through the chat logs and see if the girl ever mentioned that she was only 13.

ashbash0338 7

Exactly what I was thinking..

Well OP is clearly not going to be part of that statistic of "1 in 8 marriages starting online" Just try the direct approach and meet someone in person OP, it'll happen sometime (:

You should have called her parents. Or even the cops and rat that kid out. Problem #1 the kid met anyone online

First problem I see would be just who would the cops believe. OP or the girl and her family. With people ike Chris Hansen still making news all these years later, the police would look suspiciously at an older guy like OP.

anthony21597 2

I would have called the cops so fast

calliet145 14

As long as you truly had no idea that she was that young, I wouldn't worry about it. If she told you she was older than she was, you're not to blame for that and thus should not be punished (if it would come to that). It's not like you sought her out knowing that she was that young. Kids these days are just so messed up...they look and act much older than they are, and it's such a shame. It's no wonder why older guys keep getting in trouble for going after younger girls...

Yeah, just blame underage girls for the actions of predators. That's always a good idea. /sarcasm. And kids "these days" aren't any different from kids from before. EVERY older generation says the same thing about the newer generation. Parents in the 1950s thought Elvis would be the end of music as they knew it and they thought he would corrupt their children.

If the police get involved, them all bets are off. And her parents may decide to lawyer up as well. Be careful, OP.

I just have a hard time believing he had no idea ... I mean I was recently dating a girl who was 6 1/2 years or so younger than me it didn't seem like a big deal but you were always aware of how young they were by the comments and frame of the conversation ... There are very nearly 2 generations between these two that's not something that good grammar can hide.

calliet145 14

I disagree. Kids these days ARE different from what they were even 10 years ago. I have a sister in eighth grade, and there are a ton of girls in her grade that are pregnant and doing tons of inappropriate things. My sister isn't allowed to have her own cell phone, so she uses my moms occasionally to talk to friends. The one day a girl she knew sent her a nude picture. My sister freaked out and tried deleting it. The phone froze on the picture and wouldn't even turn off. My mom had to take her phone into Verizon and explain the situation and she was afra

If she had told OP how old she was, we wouldn't have this FML because he never would've gone to meet her.

calliet145 14

afraid that she was going to get into trouble for child **** or something. Luckily they reassured her that it wasn't her fault and that she was fine. That being said, it wasn't that long ago that I myself was in eighth grade, and we NEVER acted like that. Were there kids that did stupid things and screwed up? Yeah, and that happens, but we didn't go this far. Now it's practically acceptable and commonplace for kids to do stuff like this. I place a lot of the blame on the parents for failing to watch and discipline their kids. I know that even if you watch your kids they're not always going to make the right choices, but if you don't watch them at all and just let them run free, there's a lot more of a chance that they're going to screw up.

calliet145 14

And @ #106, I agree that OP has to be careful, but it truly may not be his fault. If the police would be called in, they'd do a thorough investigation and look at all the messages going back and forth between OP and the girl. If she never said that she was younger than she really was, OP would have had no idea that she was only 13. It would have been her fault for misleading him. He didn't seek out a 13 year old; he began talking to a woman that he thought was a proper age, and if the evidence shows that, then he would be cleared. Obviously he could be lying and have known that, but still, it legitimately looks like he didn't know from what information we have.

Girls mature a lot faster than boys and can look a lot older than they are. I remember when I was 14 and would ride my bike to school, grown men would honk at me from their cars and sometimes even yell out their window. I was sensible enough to realize it was inappropriate and started dressing like a boy to avoid getting so much attention. I doubt they would have done that though if they realized I was only 14. But some teenage girls want to and even take pride in attracting grown men. When I was in eighth grade, one of my classmates was in tears because her crush on our history teacher was unrequited. Her friends had to explain to her how inappropriate a relationship between the two of them would be. That same year, we went on a field trip to a local college art gallery. On the way home, another girl was bragging about how a college boy was "checking her out" in the cafeteria, and didn't seem to see any problem with that. Yes, it's a man's responsibility to make sure his partner is the age she claims to be because he's the one who will go to jail, but I don't think that every man who unknowingly has relations with an underage girl is necessarily a predator. An idiot, maybe, but not necessarily a predator.

115 - No, kids aren't that much different than in previous generations. According to statistics teen pregnancy rates in the US are at an all time low. This means that the amount of teens getting pregnant in the 50's and 60's was higher than the amount getting pregnant now. The only difference between teen pregnancy then and teen pregnancy now is that there's a lot more media attention on it now and girls aren't shipped off to maternity homes the second their parents find out that they're pregnant. As a matter of fact the ONLY difference between teens now and teens in the past is technology. Every stupid thing teens do and think these days is put on the internet for the whole world to see whereas it was never like that before. Teenagers have always done stupid things and will continue to do stupid things. The fact that you and your friends would never have considered sending naked pictures and whatnot is completely irrelevant because there are a shit ton of teens out there who would never do that either, and it's really unfair for you to throw those teens into the same group as the select few who make the rest of us look bad.

perdix 29

All you've got to do is hold out for 5 years until she becomes legal. Until then, invest in big buckets of lotion.

Damn, perdix, you've been falling on hard times with your comments lately. Every time I see one of yours it seems to have 50 thumbs down. You used to be so strong. "What happened? Did your balls drop off?".

perdix 29

#123, I think someone's ******* with the system. Years ago, I heard someone wrote a JavaScript that could add 25 thumbs up in a single shot. I think someone is using a similar script against me.