By brhorton02 - 06/04/2009 14:42 - United States

Today, I was waitering at the restaurant that I work at when I collected a credit card bill that was worth $120 and a big zero on the tip line. Angered, I turned to a co-worker and said "I knew this asshole wasn't going to tip me." The guy was standing right behind me with $30 in his hand. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 480
You deserved it 166 676

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That was stupid. Plenty of people pay tips with cash instead, myself included.

I hope he threw the money in your face. Ha, no I don't. I hope he gave the money to your co-worker.

Comments

I can see how you might have been confused since he wrote $0 instead of just leaving it blank, but you shouldn't just assume. Besides, if the guy really hadn't tipped you it probably would have meant you gave them poor service, which would also have been a YDI.

Dude, tipping is NOT optional. I don't give a shit what you think, all of the waiters and waitresses I know wouldn't be able to survive without tips because, dude, no one can ******* survive on minimum wage. It's not just for exceptional service, it's for doing their job-- and if you can't afford to/don't want to add the money on at the end, you probably have no business eating out/are a prick.

#69, can YOU live on minimum wage? I don't know anyone who can pay their bills with ~$6/hour. I really really hope all the folks who are saying that tipping isn't mandatory don't live in the US. I know most other countries got rid of the tipping system and instead actually PAY their servers an appropriate amount for the work they do. But this, of course, means that the food costs more....and Americans would never STAND for that!

anonymousssss_fml 3
HeyyyBrahhh 0

It seems pretty safe to say you didn't get that tip, eh?

I hope you declined that tip right away, whether or not he was still offering. Hell, I hope you were fired. You were a fool. #33, sure it's frustrating not to be tipped. But the customer DID tip. It was the poster's fault; working in services they should know that a lot of the time, people tip cash. Poster, you idiot.

bullshit on 68.... they arent depending on that money. they depend on ONE table to tip them between 3 and 4 dollars to make them get minimum wage. I quit tipping unless they deserve it, because people think that nowadays tipping is a goddamn mandatory act. im not shellin out an extra 2-3 bucks on my meal that they didnt earn. its worse when they keep the change when you want it back, assuming that you are going to tip them. i have asked for a single nickel back before to prove a point. in that case, my hog of a waitress stopped at my table literally twice, once to take our order, once to take our money. we had to go get our own menus, silverware and drinks at a full service restaurant that was at half capacity. she gets NONE of my goddamn money, because she was a complete bitch and ignored the needs of the customer. TIPS ARE NOT A GIVEN! i hate it! people should earn their goddamn share, and when someone doesn't tip them, take is as advice that they are clearly doing a shitty job. everything thinks the customer is an asshole, why is there such pressure on someone to just give out their hard earned money to someone who can't get a better job? why is the person who just wants food the bad person? **** em if they can't earn a little extra. sell weed or some shit.

just a quick question: everyone i know who works in the restaurant industry gets all the tips put into a big pot and everyone gets a share out of it... is it the case here? if so, you probably would have gotten $0.50 of that 30 bucks... not really an incentive to go the extra mile, is it?

Some of you people have obviously never been a server or bartender. Of course they were pissed when they thought they werent going to tip. Do you know how much the hourly wage is for a server!? Not much. Also, to all of you people that say tipping is optional. Its not you cheap assholes. You are going to a restaurant because you want to be waited on hand and foot. That is not included in the price that is on the menu. A wise person once told me "TIPS stands for To Insure Prompt Service" if you dont want to tip then dont expect to return to that establishment and have good service. Also, in countries where tipping is not customary, the prices are higher and the server is making triple the amount they are in north america.