By brhorton02 - 06/04/2009 14:42 - United States

Today, I was waitering at the restaurant that I work at when I collected a credit card bill that was worth $120 and a big zero on the tip line. Angered, I turned to a co-worker and said "I knew this asshole wasn't going to tip me." The guy was standing right behind me with $30 in his hand. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 480
You deserved it 166 676

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That was stupid. Plenty of people pay tips with cash instead, myself included.

I hope he threw the money in your face. Ha, no I don't. I hope he gave the money to your co-worker.

Comments

@33 I thought by law that tips were counted as part of the minimum wage that you would get. Normally in hospitality you make a few bucks an hour and the rest is covered by tips. HOWEVER, from what I've read and been told I thought that if tips did not equal what minimum wage would be for the hours you worked that your boss would have to make up the difference (i.e. you'll make minimum wage regardless of tips but bosses like the tips since it's less out of pocket). I've worked 13 years in retail and customer service related fields. It's never, never a good idea to spew venom about a patron because like this FML shows, it can backfire. Wait till their gone or you're on your 15 minute break. Better to vent away from the customers less they think you're ungrateful and mean. So as another retail employee I will call this poster an ass because he made himself look like an ass.

im so sick of bartenders and waiters who think its the frigging law for me to tip them if they give me the shitiest service tips are not mandatory all of you need to get over yourselves

Haha you're a douche. I hope he decided to keep that $30. #53 - Exactly!! I totally agree.

Vinatierri 0

Screw all of you guys who say I have to tip. I don't agree with tipping as a custom, and plenty of countries like Britain for instance barely tip either. I'll only tip if the service was particularly good.

Both you and the guy are idiots. You should know better than to talk shit in the dining area. The guy is a dumbass for giving you the bill without giving you the tip as well. Who needs to have a coronary thinking they just got screwed on a $120 check. Lesson learned. Hopefully.

Vinatierri 0

Hey number 33 and 46, that's not my problem. The restaurant should pay something closer to minimum wage, and tipping shouldn't even be done for par service but only exceptional service. I'm not going to subsidize the freakin' restaurant industry, I make less than most of these waiters, did you assholes ever think of that? Yea, freakin' tell me I have to tip when I make less money than the waiters. Though a minority of instances, some waiters in some restaurants even pull hundreds every night, and like some have said an expectation has evolved that even shitty service needs to be tipped, not to mention more and more jobs are trying to shift tips onto the customer. **** that shit, I'm fighting back (smart enough not to return to some of these restaurants tho).

I'm with 33. I wasn't in the service industry as long as they have but I was in it a good three years. Waiters and waitresses live off their tips, for most of them that IS their major source of income. Granted I don't think you should have complained while any of the customers could have heard you or let alone follow you.

#55, having worked in a restaurant for six years, I can assure you that in the US, if you stiff on a tip once you are all but guaranteed horrible service every time you return to that establishment as long as you are remembered. Customs are customs. By "fighting back" you're only painting yourself as a ******* prick, regardless of your sob story about "making less than them." If you're that poor, stop eating out and buy your meals at a grocery store, unless you're too poor to afford plates or a microwave also.

andy_fml_fml 0

Today, I went to a restuarant to grab some dinner, I paid with a credit card but decided to leave a csah tip. Just as I was about to give the cash to our waitress I heard her say "I knew this asshole wasn't going to tip me" to another waitress, so I decided to replace my original $30 with a $5 dollar. FML :) haaahaa

calavera 0

The people commenting that the OP deserved it for not caring about his/her customers seem to be missing the point. You don't tip people in the service industry because they genuinely like you, you do it because they make what could potentially be a miserable experience enjoyable, or at least sufferable. The debate about mandatory tipping and the like aside, if the OP was getting a $30 tip, he/she must have done something right. His/her failure was in dropping the curtain of the act.