By Anonymous - 10/10/2012 01:57 - United States - Rancho Santa Margarita

Today, a customer handed me a 100 dollar bill. He then told me that it was my tip for doing a good job. He snatched it away just as I touched it, laughed, and said, "Just kidding." He then took his money and left the store. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 158
You deserved it 2 422

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Next time you see him, give him 50% off coupons, then quickly snatch them back. "Just kidding!"

LiyIa_fml 8

I miss finding the nice people around the world. ._. now they're rare, I only run into the common assholes.

Comments

thathipsterchick 2

This it what's wrong with the world. People. And apparently he's one of those types 0_o im sorry OP that's terrible.

^indeed, it's terrible. I'm sure OP felt pretty good when he was told he did a good job and recieved $100 tip, then when he took it away, I guess OP felt pretty sad. I guess the man just likes to live on other people's misery.

thathipsterchick 2

11- agreed. Same thing happened with my sis in law and it made her a bit sad since she struggles while my bro is in the Army trying to help but he just started and stuff :( I'm sorry OP, that's just so terrible

I believe the phrase you're looking for is, "Gotcha!"

Am I the only one here that doesn't think it was such a terrible thing? It was a joke, granted a cruel one, but laugh it off. Although you didn't gain anything, you didn't lose anything either.

thathipsterchick 2

18- it's terrible because it obvious that the guy was at first the least bit happy, and then this asshole decided to taunt him :|

JocelynKaulitz 28

I hate those people that make you feel good about the way you do your job, then make you feel stupid afterward when you didn't do anything to deserve it. I would have turned redder than a tomato if someone did that to me. I'm sorry :/

thathipsterchick 2

21- me 2 :( that's what's wrong with the world nowadays. it's rare to find someone decent :(

Well where I'm from, if someone handed me a 100 bill as a 'tip', i'd know it was a joke.

thathipsterchick 2

23- I'm not trying to sound rude or anything (I'm terribly sorry if I did) but, my point is, it's kind've offending to people who need the money from that tip :(

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

4) Still attempting to thumb you up even though I realize it won't happen.

Next time OP should should take her shoe and say "this is what you get for being the worst customer of the day, congratulations!" Then smack him across the face with her shoe. Problem solved.

#39 And then lose her job, making the bad day even worse.

That's horrible, if he has money like that to flaunt he should be helping the world. There's poverty and now a recession now too. He's an ass.

$100 won't help the world. One person at best. But I don't really see that he has any obligation to help anyone I he doesn't want to.

IsAbElLiCiA20 6

17 - you're right, he isn't obligated to do anything, but he also shouldn't be a ******** and make people feel good about themselves, then instantly rip that away from them as a "joke". That shit is not funny.

Yeah. You gotta love these people. "You have some cash to spare? Donate it. DONATE IT RIGHT NOW!"

Lol. Yeah because anyone who carries around a hundred dollar bill must be loaded.

My dad does this to me all the time so I've just trained myself to take the money out of his hand as soon as possible and after a while he forgets about it.

momolee 4

Maybe he's poor and the $100 is all the money he got.He's so happy that he's showing it off .

LiyIa_fml 8

I miss finding the nice people around the world. ._. now they're rare, I only run into the common assholes.

hey, at least he didn't make you work hard only to dine and dash!

lexi365 20

My school is like that. Everyone just ***** on each other and finding close friends is near to impossible...

meaganinja 12

Is it normal to get $100 tips...? I'm from Australia and tipping is hardly even a thing here so I would have no clue but that seems like a bit much to just assume he's not joking

The first job that came to mind was strippers. :P I'm pretty sure those who work in high society areas get big tips. But for us normal folk, tips can be a few bucks here and there.

It depends. A $100 tip is a bit excessive, but it's not wholly uncommon. Some people really are that generous, and some people just have a lot of money and don't know what to do with it all.

WeAreRisen 6

Well, she did say store. So to me that says grocery store, and having worked as a cashier and at times when we got really busy, a courtesy clerk, the most I ever got tipped was 2 bucks for carrying someone's groceries out when it was really cold.

6 - No definitely not normal. Maybe working at a really nice restaurant with a large party, but then they wouldn't be handing you the tip. BUT it depends on why OP did, I got a $40 tip for cutting a copy of a mans car key when it was snapped in two places. He said it would have cost him $100 bucks at the dealer, the key I made cost $2, so he gave me a huge tip.

I've actually been given a $100 tip working as a server. It was just a couple having dinner and the bill didn't even come out to more than $60... They were just extremely generous I guess.

I've given $100 tips before, so I don't think it's all that uncommon. I just do it because I like the idea of brightening someone's day, at least slightly.

In England we don't get tips at grocery stores :(

KVKdragon 26

I'd take a picture of him from the security cameras and post it around in the store with something demeaning (I can't come up with anything now, so feel free to if you want lol). If there are no security cameras, warn all your fellow employees of this person at the end of the day

Next time you see him, give him 50% off coupons, then quickly snatch them back. "Just kidding!"

SApprentice 34

And with that, I might have lost my job, and possibly have endured much time in court. That's terrible, and people that behave like that are scum. I'm sorry someone did that to you, OP.

Stormdriven37 6

31-Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make a plane.

SApprentice 34

15- I never said I would have assaulted him. I would have yelled back, and possibly lost my job. I may have said things I didn't mean, things that I could be taken to court over, for threatening. I would have gone into flight or flight mode. I would have started shaking, but nine times out ten I would have done nothing. A sense of helplessness would have taken over. That other small amount of time I would have started yelling at them, the blood pounding in my ears, but I never said I would have physically attacked anyone. I guess I should have gone into a little more detail in my first comment, I was just hoping that people wouldn't jump to conclusions about what I meant. I was just saying that my response may have been bad enough to land me in court over the dispute.

Sucks, if you actually had it in your hand and he let go it would have been theft.

miyaviichan 27

Would it really be considered theft? (I'm just curious, I don't know anything about laws and such.)