By lame-o-prof - 15/07/2013 21:14 - Canada - Edmonton

Today, I was marking exams. I then had to explain to many of the students that (a) pigs are not aquatic animals and (b) sharks do not have lungs. These are university students. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 202
You deserved it 4 077

Same thing different taste

Top comments

friedpwnadge 25

Public schools are doing a fine job I see.

The "no child left behind" program at its finest!

Comments

friedpwnadge 25

Public schools are doing a fine job I see.

jman26 11

Let's face it. There's no hope for humanity anymore :/

They mist be drunk from the party they were in last night and couldnt answer it correctly

CallMeWindSock 24

Time to get out the McDonald's applications.

McDonalds probably wouldn't take them because they'd get the bacon and sausage wet.

I think you're getting confused. Public schools are the good school boards and the catholic ones are shit here in Canada.

Catholic schools are shit in canada! They are the bomb in Ireland. You should write to the pope and complain...

A sinking tide lowers all boats. This is what happens when you cut funding in absurd amounts.

Honestly still remembering my school experience I blame the students. All of my junior high and High school classes I heard over and over, "we will never need this when are going to need this" followed by a definite lack of learning. Now when I whip out knowledge that is general education 101 I look like a genius to morons with college degrees while I have only a high school diploma.

Emma Marshall 19

Public? All schools are ******

The "no child left behind" program at its finest!

hunteryager 18

#10 is right to the best of my knowledge that program doesn't exist in Canada, nice try though

ThatFancyPenn 18

The comment two above me is such an idiot -.-

CharresBarkrey 15

52 - The comment two below the second comment above yours is pretty bad too.

I know one college professor that if you wrote such a poor essay along with a plethora of grammatical mistakes, she would return the paper with an application to McDonald's stapled to it. Just a possibility.

LiterOfCola 16

52: the comment is an idiot? Lol..

We don't call it "No Child Left Behind", but we have basically the same thing in Canada (at least until you get to high school). My brother failed 6 out of 8 of his grade 8 classes and he still graduated middle school. Now he's ****** because he's in high school and doesn't know a lot of the basics. It's stupid, you need to make sure kids understand the foundation before you start shoving new material down their throats. If that means they repeat a year, so be it.

kelseydianee 11

Our future looks bright with these new minds soon taking the job market!

To be fair though, i don't think McDonalds employees or the typical blue or white-collar worker would need to know about which genus classification is our frozen food coming from. (:

This university has high standards.

What if I had been raised by pig-sharks?

that depends... are you referring to the shark half or the pig half?

CharresBarkrey 15
sunflowerchild 10

Shouldn't students in universities have at least some common sense?

Yes, that's probably why this is on FML.

Obviously no... They should put captchas on applications to filter these people..

Thank god this wasnt in the United States

Wouldn't want to look any worse than you guys already do.

I'm surprised it wasn't american. but then again, if these kids came from the "bible belt of Canada", I wouldn't be surprised that they are incredibly stupid.

TheDrifter 23

The Bible belt of Canada? Where exactly might that be? I've been here 30 years and never heard the expression.

threer 30

Stop hating on the U.S., all of you dipshits. We're not stupid as a whole. You're not exactly showing off your 'superior intellect' by being crass and stereotyping others..

Alright, everyone stop hating on America, we're not all stupid. I recently turned 14 so I took the MENSA test. At the age of just 14, I managed to earn a spot in "the high IQ society". I've gone to public school my entire life.

90- touching story, but what about the kids who got a low score? America, like every nation, has smart and dumb people. We just expose the dumb ones more.

#90, IQ has nothing to do with education. If public schools worked better you might know that.

Hmm, if all the students were confused on that, maybe the teacher has something to do with it... Jk OP, you got a class of dim wits this year.

arleenxo 11

Is it bad I didn't know sharks don't have lungs?

what did you think the little cuts on the side of its face was? its ******?

Okay i was beginning to think that I was the only one that didn't know. You're not alone #12

graceinsheepwear 33

17, the cuts are from the pigs' hooves as they outswim the sharks.

CVTTRVN 19

Damn no need to be all sassy haha

I'm a university student, and I didn't know either.

ArielTheMermaid 17

Honestly, how did you guys not know this?

These comments made me sad...how do you not put it all together? A shark is a fish. Fish have gills. Therefore, sharks have gills. That's second grade stuff.

DorkAlert 10

Umm those cuts which are part of its gills aren't on the face.

Sharks technically don't even HAVE legitimate faces. It was just an expression...

shan88 14

I'm the same. I always assumed that water went through the gills and the oxygen from the water was filtered through to the lungs. I really didn't know that animals with gills didn't have lungs. I don't feel stupid for this, I love learning new things :)